Discuss Recently signed up for a Domestic Electrical Installer course, need help. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jangb2000

Trainee
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 19 and recently signed up for a domestic electrical installer course and like an idiot I haven't really researched it that well beforehand which I know I should have. My dad is an electrician in Germany and he seemed pretty happy with it so I just went for it. My question is essentially after this course will I be able to find work with the qualifications I will have gained, and they are:
  • City & Guilds 2392
  • City & Guilds 2382
  • Part P Defined Scope
  • There is also mention of City & Guilds 2393 in the book but not in the brochure and it is under the "Part P" part of the book so not sure if it has anything to do with that?
Thanks anyone in advance and if the thread is in a wrong part of the forum I'd like to apologise wasn't sure where to create this thanks.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you may struggle . there are loads of people with these qualifications from short courses. the centres sell a notion anybody can become an electrician in 3 weeks. if only it were that simple!
If already in a trade environment such as maintenance or refurb work you may get somewhere, at best i think you might be looking at labouring.
Given your age I would strongly advise doing the 2365 level 2 and 3 and get yourself working maybe as labourer or apprenticeship if you are willing to work hard and learn.
the long term benefits are worth it.
If you do this package though then at the end study a bit more and do the 2391 testing course. it will help set you apart from the 1000s with the same qualifications.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you may struggle . there are loads of people with these qualifications from short courses. the centres sell a notion anybody can become an electrician in 3 weeks. if only it were that simple!
If already in a trade environment such as maintenance or refurb work you may get somewhere, at best i think you might be looking at labouring.
Given your age I would strongly advise doing the 2365 level 2 and 3 and get yourself working maybe as labourer or apprenticeship if you are willing to work hard and learn.
the long term benefits are worth it.
If you do this package though then at the end study a bit more and do the 2391 testing course. it will help set you apart from the 1000s with the same qualifications.
Thanks for the quick reply, well at the end of this course I can progress onto what they call "level 2" which does go through the City & Guilds 2365-02 which I assume is the level 2? Then there is a "level 3" course that they offer after it. They told me the 2392 will enable me to inspect and test work, although I'm guessing that isn't true by looks of it.

question... have you paid for the course? if so, are you within your rights to cancel? at 19 yrs, you should consider post#2. straight in for level 2. this can be done evenings so you can still earn in the day. all the short course can do is start you on the path of house bashing.

question... have you paid for the course? if so, are you within your rights to cancel? at 19 yrs, you should consider post#2. straight in for level 2. this can be done evenings so you can still earn in the day. all the short course can do is start you on the path of house bashing.
Unfortunately yes I have paid for the course it’s done through a “Student Finance” type thing and I think I have passed the 2 week cancellation period because I went on holiday after sign up and only just came back and started reading into it. What do you think would be the best course of action since I basically have to finish this now. What would be the best thing to do after, do their “level 2” programme or maybe do it elsewhere?. Thanks

I'm 32 and on a Level 2 jangb2000 and would recommend it and go from there; from level to, to level 3, then your I&T and PAT additional courses, then the NVQ and AM2. At your age, you would likely benefit from the electrotechnical apprenticeship program

Whichever route you take, join the Trainees section, there's some good content there that might help, the mentors are ok too ?

Embrace what you've signed up for but I whole heartedly agree with what other have said above. Sort out some hands on experience to hang the theory onto asap. Who are you doing the course with as some are better than others?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, well at the end of this course I can progress onto what they call "level 2" which does go through the City & Guilds 2365-02 which I assume is the level 2? Then there is a "level 3" course that they offer after it. They told me the 2392 will enable me to inspect and test work, although I'm guessing that isn't true by looks of it.

@jangb2000

Basically the domestic installer course is the equivalent of what you'll learn on the 2365 level 2, wiring up ring final circuits, radials, SWA, depends what outfit you choose will also be dependant how deep they'll go.
On the DI course you'll also do the 2392 level 2 inspection & initial verification.

On the domestic installer course as its aimed at Domestic I am pretty sure you wont learn fixing & cutting trunking, cable tray, SY cable, MI cable the like.

Also after the level 2 2365 you will go on to the level 3 2365 which will be more design & testing where you'll do the testing & initial verification, fault finding etc where you'll hit 12 exams that include practical's but you will be getting your core qualifications to further your career needed for a JIB gold card.

The level 2 2365 is around 3k same as the level 3 around 3k where as a DI course is around the 2k mark so you have to think which one will benefit you most.

Also nothing is saying you wont do the DI course you signed up for and be very successful as many people have, its all up to the individual on how quick they can adapt & take things in.

Good Luck what ever route you take.

@jangb2000

Basically the domestic installer course is the equivalent of what you'll learn on the 2365 level 2, wiring up ring final circuits, radials, SWA, depends what outfit you choose will also be dependant how deep they'll go.
On the DI course you'll also do the 2392 level 2 inspection & initial verification.

On the domestic installer course as its aimed at Domestic I am pretty sure you wont learn fixing & cutting trunking, cable tray, SY cable, MI cable the like.

Also after the level 2 2365 you will go on to the level 3 2365 which will be more design & testing where you'll do the testing & initial verification, fault finding etc where you'll hit 12 exams that include practical's but you will be getting your core qualifications to further your career needed for a JIB gold card.

The level 2 2365 is around 3k same as the level 3 around 3k where as a DI course is around the 2k mark so you have to think which one will benefit you most.

Also nothing is saying you wont do the DI course you signed up for and be very successful as many people have, its all up to the individual on how quick they can adapt & take things in.

Good Luck what ever route you take.
So what you're saying is not to worry about it too much, finish the course that I have signed up for and then progress onto my level 2 and 3? I feel like they have sold me the dream a bit and made me think I'd be earning good money just after the first year but I don't mind as long as I can get a job after the first year even if it isn't great.

You’re in now mate, may as well make sure you do ya best on this course, learn what you can no time spent learning anything new is wasted time,and look at your options after that, these course providers do promise you the earth but much like the rest of life it all comes down to you at the end of the day, just immerse ya self in Electrical theory (you tube, regs books etc) don’t beat ya self up make sure you pass and go from there mate you’ll be fine and good luck to ya ?

So what you're saying is not to worry about it too much, finish the course that I have signed up for and then progress onto my level 2 and 3? I feel like they have sold me the dream a bit and made me think I'd be earning good money just after the first year but I don't mind as long as I can get a job after the first year even if it isn't great.

The qualifications you will receive from the DI course you paid for will not get a job as an electrican with a company as you wouldnt be qualified, you will have a level 2 qualification in testing & would've sat the BS7671 regs exam. It wouldnt stop you applying as a mate though.

That being said that will not stop you joining a CPS scheme like NICEIC where you'll be assessed on the job to see if you're skilled enough to carry out work in a domestic setting.

Personally if you've signed up to a DI course dont cancel it you may really enjoy it or hate it, and after that course if you really like it you could go on to do the level 2 and 3 or go out by yourself. The world is your oyster

You’re in now mate, may as well make sure you do ya best on this course, learn what you can no time spent learning anything new is wasted time,and look at your options after that, these course providers do promise you the earth but much like the rest of life it all comes down to you at the end of the day, just immerse ya self in Electrical theory (you tube, regs books etc) don’t beat ya self up make sure you pass and go from there mate you’ll be fine and good luck to ya ?
Thanks that what I'm wanting to do, just try my best, pass everything and then hopefully move on up. Thanks everyone for the help, definitely won't let it get me down and gonna do my best to eventually be fully qualified.
[automerge]1580663481[/automerge]
One last question, realistically what will I be able to do work-wise after the first year, Electricians mate? Some domestic work? etc.

Last edited:
Thanks that what I'm wanting to do, just try my best, pass everything and then hopefully move on up. Thanks everyone for the help, definitely won't let it get me down and gonna do my best to eventually be fully qualified.
One last question, realistically what will I be able to do work-wise after the first year, Electricians mate? Some domestic work? etc.

Depends what you will be doing for the other 48 weeks

Hi if you have passed the 2392, 2393, & 2382 18th regs, you can register to be a domestic installer under one of the
Hello,

I'm 19 and recently signed up for a domestic electrical installer course and like an idiot I haven't really researched it that well beforehand which I know I should have. My dad is an electrician in Germany and he seemed pretty happy with it so I just went for it. My question is essentially after this course will I be able to find work with the qualifications I will have gained, and they are:
  • City & Guilds 2392
  • City & Guilds 2382
  • Part P Defined Scope
  • There is also mention of City & Guilds 2393 in the book but not in the brochure and it is under the "Part P" part of the book so not sure if it has anything to do with that?
Thanks anyone in advance and if the thread is in a wrong part of the forum I'd like to apologise wasn't sure where to create this thanks.
Hi if you pass 2392,2382& now 2393 building regs taken over from part P for electrica,if you have the confidence you can then register for a domestic installer, & test your own work, i have heard that nappitt now requires a level 3 to register for testing roles.

Reply to Recently signed up for a Domestic Electrical Installer course, need help. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock