Discuss Recently signed up for a Domestic Electrical Installer course, need help. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi if you have passed the 2392, 2393, & 2382 18th regs, you can register to be a domestic installer under one of the
Hi if you pass 2392,2382& now 2393 building regs taken over from part P for electrica,if you have the confidence you can then register for a domestic installer, & test your own work, i have heard that nappitt now requires a level 3 to register for testing roles.

You'll actually only need to have passed the BS7671 to join NICEIC as a DI and to prove you're skilled on your assessment in testing.

I can totally sympathise with the OP... I personally think that the whole qualification/training structure is a total mess ! It's very difficult to understand progression with multiple routes and options... and even asking the many learned members of this esteemed forum gives multiple and contradictory advice. On top of that, it also depends on where you live... as not all colleges offer the full range of courses in FT/Day release/evening options.

Also, should a 16 yo school leaver that has never even picked up a screwdriver in their life be treated the same as someone who's 50 yo with an engineering degree and 30 years of technical and practical experience ?

Having shouted about the problem... I have to admit that I don't know what the answer is...

I can totally sympathise with the OP... I personally think that the whole qualification/training structure is a total mess ! It's very difficult to understand progression with multiple routes and options... and even asking the many learned members of this esteemed forum gives multiple and contradictory advice. On top of that, it also depends on where you live... as not all colleges offer the full range of courses in FT/Day release/evening options.

Also, should a 16 yo school leaver that has never even picked up a screwdriver in their life be treated the same as someone who's 50 yo with an engineering degree and 30 years of technical and practical experience ?

Having shouted about the problem... I have to admit that I don't know what the answer is...
Yeah I mean I have even more questions than I had before going on this forum, however hopefully I can finish this course and still get something out of it. I'm going to ask a lot of questions when I come to do the practical part of the course to try get a bit of clarification
[automerge]1580727149[/automerge]
Hi if you have passed the 2392, 2393, & 2382 18th regs, you can register to be a domestic installer under one of the
Hi if you pass 2392,2382& now 2393 building regs taken over from part P for electrica,if you have the confidence you can then register for a domestic installer, & test your own work, i have heard that nappitt now requires a level 3 to register for testing roles.
So I will be able to work as a domestic installer after this foundation course? That is good enough for me. I can then continue on and do a further course if possible to get fully qualified?

New Trades Career
I 30 and in the process of doing the Full Scope Electricians course inc solar PV through the same provider and cannot fault them, Definitely do level 2/3 and 2391 like others have stated as will prosper in the long run

Slightly hijacking but I'm female. I have the 3rd year diploma and 15 years in electrical systems design. Couldn't get an apprenticeship 15 years ago. Have to pay to have my work checked over and signed off. Trying again to get the qualifications. No one seems able to cope with me not being a bloke... any advice? Should I get a fake beard?

No they shouldn't be treated the same, the 16yo school leaver is not coming into it convinced that they already know what they are doing.
Someone with an engineering degree and 30 years experience of electrical engineering work is likely going to take a lot longer to learn the practical/real world side of the job as they will be starting with an attitude that they already know what they are doing.

Should I get a fake beard
Well Brian, a bit of a conundrum. I suppose you have a male name, so suggest you get a real beard, it would be more convincing, joking aside, from what you say, can I ask, have you tried enrolling with a CPS such as NIC or Napit? You may not be very far off what is required to sign off your own work. As to feeling as a female it is harder to get in the trade, can I point you to NICEIC and their initiative to get more female electricians. They offer funding to assist in courses/equipment. I have had two female trainees who sadly did not last long. But then they were probably younger than you? I found that bottom line they did not have the physical strength to do certain tasks. I also found that about 2 p.m. they had run out of energy and could not complete a days work. Maybe that is something that could be built up in time but they felt discouraged (not by me!) Having said that, I am absolutely all for female electricians.

Well Brian, a bit of a conundrum. I suppose you have a male name, so suggest you get a real beard, it would be more convincing, joking aside, from what you say, can I ask, have you tried enrolling with a CPS such as NIC or Napit? You may not be very far off what is required to sign off your own work. As to feeling as a female it is harder to get in the trade, can I point you to NICEIC and their initiative to get more female electricians. They offer funding to assist in courses/equipment. I have had two female trainees who sadly did not last long. But then they were probably younger than you? I found that bottom line they did not have the physical strength to do certain tasks. I also found that about 2 p.m. they had run out of energy and could not complete a days work. Maybe that is something that could be built up in time but they felt discouraged (not by me!) Having said that, I am absolutely all for female electricians.

Ah I was watching a documentary about Queen when I signed up. Hence the nod to Mr May.

Yeah physical strength is definitely a thing. It depends on the individual really. I do TES for festival stages so carrying scaffolding, trussing, lights, amps and speakers, hoists... box pushing and rigging have made me pretty strong but it does take time. Even I struggle with wall chasers on occasion.

I'm definitely not far off but I also don't know enough about domestic work to be confident in just going for it and getting a CPS in to evaluate.

I should probably answer the OP and say that I think no matter what the more training you have the better. It all adds to the CV.

I'll stop hijacking now ?

I'm 32 and on a Level 2 jangb2000 and would recommend it and go from there; from level to, to level 3, then your I&T and PAT additional courses, then the NVQ and AM2. At your age, you would likely benefit from the electrotechnical apprenticeship program

Whichever route you take, join the Trainees section, there's some good content there that might help, the mentors are ok too ?

Why waste time and Money doing the PAT course? a waste of time, as you don't need to be qualified to do PAT get hold of the CoP for ISITEE and study it

Why waste time and Money doing the PAT course? a waste of time, as you don't need to be qualified to do PAT get hold of the CoP for ISITEE and study it

Whilst I agree you don't strictly need the course, it may well be useful to him. I've seen people performing ISITEE on several occasions where they have gaps in their knowledge. Things like testing figure 8 mains leads for instance, where they obviously don't realise that the Tester connects line and neutral together. And many more as they say.

Whilst I agree you don't strictly need the course, it may well be useful to him. I've seen people performing ISITEE on several occasions where they have gaps in their knowledge. Things like testing figure 8 mains leads for instance, where they obviously don't realise that the Tester connects line and neutral together. And many more as they say.
Competence is the requirement Mate, and if they are doing you describe, the obviously aint Competent are they?

I'm a bit confused as to what this course is actually offering. At 19 you might as well go to college you get 2365 (2/3) free I think

Ideally you want 2365 (2/3) but it seems you still have to do this after the course you just paid for? How much was it out of interest?

Reply to Recently signed up for a Domestic Electrical Installer course, need help. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock