Discuss Any Point in Domestic Installer course or any electrical training at 41 in 2022? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yeah my bad mate i edited the post, thought your C&G reference was level 3 2365.

Still, there's no such thing as a 'domestic installer' course, this sounds like a few quals being dressed up under that name. They're great quals to have but give you no more right to call yourself a domestic installer than if you didn't have them. You won't be able to join a scheme, sign off work, probably wouldn't get any work on site as a fully fledged electrician, can't get a JIB gold card, can't even get the relevant ECS card with it.

The point is just be wary that what is being sold to you is 'do this course and then you can do domestic installation' when really you can already do it. Those courses are just testing and the regs, both open book exams.

Don't know what NIC are on about but you can't go on their schemes just with those qualifications anymore, their handbook says you need 2 years post-qualification experience in a supervisory role. Changes are listed here:
Thanks mate, appreciate all the info. Also take on board the fact that the 2 C&G are open book and not massive. So, I guess the money from the course which for me will probably be ~3.9k* out of my own pocket, will be aimed at the LCL Awards Level 3 - Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings and the teaching/facilities plus any contacts I can make there amongst the group etc.

*unless I go for the City & Guilds 2391-51 Periodic Inspection and Testing and the City & Guilds 2919-01 Electric Vehicle charging course for an extra grand - But still not convinced any of it is worth it at the moment!!

Re NICEIC and the CPS. I think maybe I've confused the issue... but I'm referring to the Domestic Installer Scheme. Requirements according to the website are:

To apply for our Domestic Installer scheme, here is an example of what you will need:
  • Be directly engaged in Domestic Electrical Work
  • Have a minimum of £2 million Public Liability Insurance in the registered trading name
  • Certificates of technical qualifications achieved by the Qualified Supervisor
  • Hold a current edition of BS 7671, HSR25 (E@WR89) and any other technical reference guides relevant to the range and scale of electrical work you undertake
  • Maintain a record of the ongoing accuracy and consistency of test equipment used for certification and reporting purposes
  • Appoint one or more Qualified Supervisor as required
  • Proposed Qualified Supervisor has at least 2 years responsibility for electrical work
  • Have a safe isolation and re-energisation of installations procedure in place
  • Have a written Health & Safety Policy Statement and carry out risk assessments as appropriate
  • Make available for assessment sufficient examples of domestic electrical installation work completed with appropriate certification in the previous 12 months by the business. It is advisable to arrange access to a selection of sites
  • Evidence of relevant qualifications, training (including Continuous Professional Development) and experience for all employed persons undertaking electrical work
  • Maintain records for a minimum of 6 years, inclusive, but not limited to; specifications, certificates, competence records and complaints
I will ring the NIC EIC and make sure I'm properly aware of the level of work I need to be doing for the 2 years before I can join the scheme - as I said before though, I'm not in a rush to get with the scheme as, IF I go for it, I'll be hoping to start on small jobs, part time at first and giving some mates who are full time sparks a hand, if they'll let me!

Last edited:

Reply to Any Point in Domestic Installer course or any electrical training at 41 in 2022? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock