Discuss Refurb works In offices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just your thoughts on this one,doing a part refurb on existing offices,no initial verification or certs found anywhere.
Premises rewired bout 1990,adding sockets here & there in each room.
The DB is a Crabtree Tpn polestar,just finished some loop readings ,& not good,1.49 the highest,there is no rcd protection on any of the circuits,the ring mains are of a 3871 type 2 32 amp.
We are now waiting from architect or whoever on what to do.
In the meantime bit concerned about our new additions,should I refuse to connect them up.

all depends on what you are fitting. if RCD is required under various 7671 regs. then you need to provide same. all you need to do is ensure your new works comply and sod anything else ( unless you perceive a danger, then it should be addressed).

My thoughts on doing one assess what's on the existing circuits in works area and is the circuits wired to a good standard to be adapted/strip out back to a point to start afresh as much as possible .
Zs of 1.49 you have to ask why what is the Zs/Zdb ?.

If you have carried out alterations and additions to existing circuits you should have verified the suitability for the work you are carrying out before starting. It's no good refusing to connect after you've altered the circuit.

Agree,I’m not going to connect until someone tells me I can,the loop reading do not comply,there is no rcd,& doubt if you can retrofit a rcd to that DB.
This installation been in service like this quite some time,nobody’s said,or done anything about this problem

Agree,I’m not going to connect until someone tells me I can,the loop reading do not comply,there is no rcd,& doubt if you can retrofit a rcd to that DB.
This installation been in service like this quite some time,nobody’s said,or done anything about this problem

Who designed the alterations ?

Is the Zs correct for the circuit layout, e.g. long ring final or radial but with incorrect circuit protection.

Yes agree,can’t understand how this as come about,no cerfication,the actual works for power is not a lot,it’s just alterations or repositioning .
There is no spec to the works,ain’t got a clue why not.
Also getting no answers f anyone.

Problem is solvable by fitting rcbos and although some may not agree it is the solution. Of course with Polestar you will need to find second hand ones, two module at that.

The alterations are not the problem,they consist of extra power points to the existing ring,that ring causes the problem.
Apologies if I’m way off but it sounds as though you made alterations/additions to an existing ring final circuit and only after doing so did some testing and then found out that there were historical issues with the ring final. Is that correct?

Did your alterations require the need for RCD protection?

Apologies if I’m way off but it sounds as though you made alterations/additions to an existing ring final circuit and only after doing so did some testing and then found out that there were historical issues with the ring final. Is that correct?

Did your alterations require the need for RCD protection?
Yes that’s right.The existing circuit requires rcd protection.

Reply to Refurb works In offices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock