Discuss Rewire a table lamp - any help appreciated! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jacquiemalta

Hi,

I have a table lamp that I love but it only allows bulbs up to 50 watt although the shade is large and open so not really a fire hazard. I have been using halogen bulbs to the equivalent of 70 watts (I think they're around 42 watt but I threw the box away) but they only last about a month before blowing. I have a feeling the fitting is dodgy because the bulb (bayonet) is never secure and rocks easily. Also, the switch which is part of the lamp holder, not on the cable, is dodgy too and needs playing about with a bit.

I want to rewire the lamp to take up to 100 watt bulbs and have been looking online at lamp holders. However from what I've been reading, the wattage is dependent on the shade, not the fitting. I'm not worried about the shade and would still like to use the lower watt bulbs equivalent to 70w anyway so the heat won't be too bad. Do I just need to replace the lamp holder with a new one and can I use the existing cable or do cables have wattages of their own?

I won't rewire the lamp myself as I work at a hotel and the maintenance team will do it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question to you professionals!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy a 10W LED bayonet lamp - that will be far brighter than a 60 watt bulb....better than mucking around with the cables...

Thanks for your reply. When you say lamp, do you mean bulb or are you saying I should buy a whole new table lamp?

I've gathered from reading online that many people call them lamps. Everyone I know has always called them bulbs though so old habits die hard :) Thanks for clarifying.

Hi - yes an LED upgrade would be good. Screwfix has them and here is a link to one that might suit :)
http://www.screwflix..com/p/led-gls-lamp-warm-white-bc-7-6w/5712k

Thanks for the links. I am still going to change the holder though as lamps (I learn quickly!) don't seem to sit correctly and the switch is dodgy anyway. I assume I can just connect the current cable to the new holder and that I don't need new cable?

Thanks for the links. I am still going to change the holder though as lamps (I learn quickly!) don't seem to sit correctly and the switch is dodgy anyway. I assume I can just connect the current cable to the new holder and that I don't need new cable?

I would suggest if there's anything a bit iffy about your table lamp, get someone who is competent to check it's wired correctly.

I'm not going to mess with it myself. I tile, lay floors, fit kitchens, build dining tables etc but my dad always told me not to mess with plumbing cos it's expensive to fix and not to mess with electrics cos it could kill me! The farthest I go is to wire a plug. I work in a hotel in Malta so the maintenance department can do it. The problem is that things are a LOT more slapdash here than in the UK so I need to understand this lamp situation cos I can guarantee you, I will have to know way more than they do about it before I ask them to do it!

Hi Jacqui. You can't get 100W bulbs anyway, good thing too, planet wrecking things. And remember that "Eco Halogen" is greenwash. There is no such thing as "Eco" Halogen, but others have given you some leads for LED bulbs so you should follow that up. You'll be looking for minimum ~950 Lumens in a warm white, which would probably be 10-12 Watt. .
If the bayonet fitting is dodgy, that can be replaced. "Lamp Parts" or some similar Google search will find what you need.
If the fitting is brass and it's an otherwise elderly metal lamp, then make sure the lamp is earthed. If it's old, then it's quite likely to not be. You may then need to replace the cable as well. 0.75mm three core. (And fancy braided stuff is also available in a huge range of colours). Make sure if you fit a new plug that you swap out the 13A fuse it came with it, and replace it with a 3A.
If in doubt about any of that, then get someone to fix it up for you and check it's safe:)

Hi Jacqui. You can't get 100W bulbs anyway, good thing too, planet wrecking things. And remember that "Eco Halogen" is greenwash. There is no such thing as "Eco" Halogen, but others have given you some leads for LED bulbs so you should follow that up. You'll be looking for minimum ~950 Lumens in a warm white, which would probably be 10-12 Watt. .
If the bayonet fitting is dodgy, that can be replaced. "Lamp Parts" or some similar Google search will find what you need.
If the fitting is brass and it's an otherwise elderly metal lamp, then make sure the lamp is earthed. If it's old, then it's quite likely to not be. You may then need to replace the cable as well. 0.75mm three core. (And fancy braided stuff is also available in a huge range of colours). Make sure if you fit a new plug that you swap out the 13A fuse it came with it, and replace it with a 3A.
If in doubt about any of that, then get someone to fix it up for you and check it's safe:)

I would imagine 100w incandescent lamps are far less planet wrecking to manufacture than LED lamps....nobody seems to take into account that much of the 'planet saving' energy efficiency of LED lamps is offset by the less than planet saving manufacturing process.

LED lamp is the way to go, make sure you buy a good quality lamp holder if you are going to change it, loads of cheap Chinese crap out there, buy something good and it should be fine.

Reply to Rewire a table lamp - any help appreciated! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock