Currently reading:
Rewiring

Discuss Rewiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I went back to him again and the builder now says that the wiring is okay and completely safe as long as I don't want to add more sockets. He said that the sockets in the kitchen aren't earthed but he doesn't know about the rest (in his words, he's no electrician) and he didn't get the electrician to check that because he just asked about the cost for a complete rewire.
Thanks to all of you, I've finally got what I need to speak to the electrician myself and sort it out.
Thank you again. I would never have sorted this out without your help.

Please make sure you get an EICR before you decide what you are going to do. The price of this is worth it's weight in gold!!

Post your location (just area) I’m sure someone will be nearby. The builder is talking out of his arse, he’s admitted as much. How does he know there’s no earth to the kitchen sockets when he says he hasn’t tested?
At least with someone off this board most are well known to us. Just to say, it won’t be me looking for the work I’ve retired.

Id like to recommend getting a quote from an electrical contractor from another source, thomson, yell, google etc, otherwise the builder could potentially get two mates to quote and they wouldnt necessarily be fair prices.. Excuse my not trusting ANYONE :)

the builder now says that the wiring is okay and completely safe as long as I don't want to add more sockets. He said that the sockets in the kitchen aren't earthed

If he believes that the socket outlets are not earthed then how on earth (excuse the pun) does he believe that the wiring is in any respect safe?

He inspected it and he has had electricians to inspect it but I'm getting everything second hand from him and none of it that clear, honestly. He tells me I need a 10 way consumer unit with 17 double sockets to replace what I have.

sounds like he's starting to take advantage of you. Id seek out a second opinion from ur own electrician and speaking from previous experience dont let them do more than what u have asked them to do.

Funny how the wiring is now ok, once you started asking educated questions. It may be that it does need looking at, so as many others have said, get an independent opinion.

Reply to Rewiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back