Search the forum,

Discuss Rewiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GeeDee

First, I'm not an electrician but I've had the wiring inspected and had different reports from the builder who is doing some work on my house, so I wanted to ask here for an opinion please?
I have a house with 1 ring main for the sockets - upstairs and downstairs, radial for the kitchen and 1 ring main for upstairs and downstairs lights. The builder has told me that he doesn't think it's earthed and that it's unsafe and needs to be completely rewired. I believe the wiring was done in 1979 so it is old.
Is there any other option to make it safe other than a complete rewire?
Thank you for your help on this. I'm really quite concerned, as you can imagine.

it's no use relying on a builder to determine whether the electrics need rewiring, any more than relying on a plumber to advise on brain surgery. you need to get a couple of reputable electricians to check your installation and advise on what needs to be done.

He inspected it and he has had electricians to inspect it but I'm getting everything second hand from him and none of it that clear, honestly. He tells me I need a 10 way consumer unit with 17 double sockets to replace what I have.

Without seeing it it is difficult to say for sure but if your builder doesn't think it's safe then you should:

A - Ask him to conduct an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

Or

B - Get an electrician to do this for you if your builder is unable to do this for whatever reason.

If you post your location on here I'm sure one of the chaps could get in touch!

The report will provide you with a list of defects and a code which indicates the seriousness of the defect. Your electrician will then explain the report to you and suggest solutions.

Hope this helps

if you post your area, one of us here may be close to you.

Thank you. I'll phone him now and ask about the EICR report. I don't know why I need 17 double sockets. It's only a small house and I have 8 at the moment.

Sounds like the builder knows an electrician and is touting for work for him. You dont "need" any specific number of socket outlets within your premises, it is up to you how many and where you would like them.

As others have already said, and EICR will show the current condition of your installation, then you can work out where to go from there

Your best first step, if you don't trust the builder, would be to commission your own EICR. For a small house it would cost you no more than £200.00

This would get you a report to review and digest without his input.

Good luck

I've spoken to the builder who seems to have decided the house needed rewiring and asked electricians for prices to do it. I'm going to arrange to meet the electrician who gave the quote at the house and ask him more about it.
Thank you all so much for your answers. If it needs to be done, that's fine because I obviously want it to be safe. But, thanks to all of you, I know now what to ask.
I'm very grateful to you all.

It would be advisable to get your own quotes too if that is what the builder is doing because if he gets the works done then he will be putting as mark up on the price for himself.

Well, the builder has come back to me to say that the defects are that there are only 2 ring mains where I should have either 4 or 5 and that there's no earthing there, so it needs a complete rewire to make it safe.

Builder is talking nonsense!

Earthing is a different issue, but (without seeing the job) 1979 it should be something that can be worked with. But best thing to do is source a spark yourself (post your location, someone on this forum may be nearby), and get a proper EICR done, with everything in writing.

IF a rewire is needed - you can say how many sockets and what goes where. Don't listen to the builder on this one bit. Best thing to do is get someone totally independent of the builder in yourself.

there is no regulation, building wise or electrical that dictates how many ring final circuits you have, if any. the whole installation could be done in radials. obviously, if you need more sockets it may be advisable to install more circuits. as D80 has said, the lack of earthing, if he is correct, does need sorting out. but that would be nowhere near the cost of a rewire. sure there must be a forum member near to you that could 1. have a quick look to verify whether earthing ( and bonding) are present, 2. if required, perform a full EICR.

as usual builder knowing every thing!!

he should stick to laying blocks and digging foundations , leave the electrical work alone..!

personally with out looking at the job i would say

New 6 Fuse Box with RCBO's
New Meter Tails
Uprated Main Earth
Install Gas/Water Bonding

£500 Approx

I went back to him again and the builder now says that the wiring is okay and completely safe as long as I don't want to add more sockets. He said that the sockets in the kitchen aren't earthed but he doesn't know about the rest (in his words, he's no electrician) and he didn't get the electrician to check that because he just asked about the cost for a complete rewire.
Thanks to all of you, I've finally got what I need to speak to the electrician myself and sort it out.
Thank you again. I would never have sorted this out without your help.

Please make sure you get an EICR before you decide what you are going to do. The price of this is worth it's weight in gold!!

Post your location (just area) I’m sure someone will be nearby. The builder is talking out of his arse, he’s admitted as much. How does he know there’s no earth to the kitchen sockets when he says he hasn’t tested?
At least with someone off this board most are well known to us. Just to say, it won’t be me looking for the work I’ve retired.

Id like to recommend getting a quote from an electrical contractor from another source, thomson, yell, google etc, otherwise the builder could potentially get two mates to quote and they wouldnt necessarily be fair prices.. Excuse my not trusting ANYONE :)

the builder now says that the wiring is okay and completely safe as long as I don't want to add more sockets. He said that the sockets in the kitchen aren't earthed

If he believes that the socket outlets are not earthed then how on earth (excuse the pun) does he believe that the wiring is in any respect safe?

He inspected it and he has had electricians to inspect it but I'm getting everything second hand from him and none of it that clear, honestly. He tells me I need a 10 way consumer unit with 17 double sockets to replace what I have.

sounds like he's starting to take advantage of you. Id seek out a second opinion from ur own electrician and speaking from previous experience dont let them do more than what u have asked them to do.

Funny how the wiring is now ok, once you started asking educated questions. It may be that it does need looking at, so as many others have said, get an independent opinion.

Reply to Rewiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net