uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Ring main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JKMRK1

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Question I have is, is it ok to have x2 ring main circuits on one 32amp type B MCB??

If so does this meet the current regs.

TIA.

Aico 3000
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Pete999

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Question I have is, is it ok to have x2 ring main circuits on one 32amp type B MCB??

If so does this meet the current regs.

TIA.
No not really, a circuit originate from 1 OCPD, secondly it's not a "Ring Main" it's a Ring Final Circuit RFC, pedantic but correct terminology counts these days.

J

JKMRK1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two rings of a circuit, got the regs?
Yes I have the regs book, which states final circuits should be connected to a seperate way in the CU. But I've seen so many others argue this is OK??

buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
No is the answer, you will overload the mcb
Are you adjusting a circuit or putting another one in and have no room in CU.

DPG

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Yes I have the regs book, which states final circuits should be connected to a seperate way in the CU. But I've seen so many others argue this is OK??
I've never seen many people argue that two ring finals one one MCB is a good idea.

J

JKMRK1

No is the answer, you will overload the mcb
Are you adjusting a circuit or putting another one in and have no room in CU.
I've come across this in the house I've just purchased. There's a spare way in the board I'll add another MCB and seperate them.

Pete999

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
I'll reiterate, a circuit originates from an individual OCPD if some dipstick has decided to combine 2 RFCs into 1 circuit incorrectly then He / She needs to hang up their screwdrivers, and take up another Trade.

J

JKMRK1

I've never seen many people argue that two ring finals one one MCB is a good idea.
I'm not saying it's correct just saying what I've seen. That's why I've asked the question to make sure its correct.
Post automatically merged:

I'll reiterate, a circuit originates from an individual OCPD if some dipstick has decided to combine 2 RFCs into 1 circuit incorrectly then He / She needs to hang up their screwdrivers, and take up another Trade.
Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated👍

Pete999

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
I'm not saying it's correct just saying what I've seen. That's why I've asked the question to make sure its correct.
Well no then it isn't

You are more than welcome Mate

See description of a circuit in OSG or BS 7671

Mark Wright

Mark Wright

You could put more than one radial on a MCB but its not good practice.
2 Rings on 32mcb is dangerous are you sure it's not 2 radials?

2 rings would have four wires goinging into a MCB

Some people spur off a MCB maybe it was that - 3 wires?

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Ring main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom