• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Ring main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Question I have is, is it ok to have x2 ring main circuits on one 32amp type B MCB??

If so does this meet the current regs.

TIA.
No not really, a circuit originate from 1 OCPD, secondly it's not a "Ring Main" it's a Ring Final Circuit RFC, pedantic but correct terminology counts these days.

Yes I have the regs book, which states final circuits should be connected to a seperate way in the CU. But I've seen so many others argue this is OK??
I'll reiterate, a circuit originates from an individual OCPD if some dipstick has decided to combine 2 RFCs into 1 circuit incorrectly then He / She needs to hang up their screwdrivers, and take up another Trade.

I've never seen many people argue that two ring finals one one MCB is a good idea.
I'm not saying it's correct just saying what I've seen. That's why I've asked the question to make sure its correct.
[automerge]1588089613[/automerge]
I'll reiterate, a circuit originates from an individual OCPD if some dipstick has decided to combine 2 RFCs into 1 circuit incorrectly then He / She needs to hang up their screwdrivers, and take up another Trade.
Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated?

I'm not saying it's correct just saying what I've seen. That's why I've asked the question to make sure its correct.
Well no then it isn't
[automerge]1588089689[/automerge]

You are more than welcome Mate
[automerge]1588089831[/automerge]

See description of a circuit in OSG or BS 7671

You could put more than one radial on a MCB but its not good practice.
2 Rings on 32mcb is dangerous are you sure it's not 2 radials?

2 rings would have four wires goinging into a MCB

Some people spur off a MCB maybe it was that - 3 wires?

If there is a spare way in the CU then I would question why someone has decided to combine the two circuits. I recommend doing full set of dead tests before connecting up.

You could put more than one radial on a MCB but its not good practice.
2 Rings on 32mcb is dangerous are you sure it's not 2 radials?

2 rings would have four wires goinging into a MCB

Some people spur off a MCB maybe it was that - 3 wires?

Definitely two rings there are 4 cables in the MCB. I'm going to add another way and seperate them.

Looking at this thread there is argument that it is safe but not common
_theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=32208

I suppose you could argue it's just extending the Ring??? - 2 large rings would surely cause constant tripping.

I suppose you could argue it's just extending the Ring??? - 2 large rings would surely cause constant tripping.
[/QUOTE]

It's not the same as extending the ring.

I'm not saying I would do this because I wouldn't install like this, but I am going to play devils advocate.

Which regulations does such an arrangement breach?

And how would two ring final circuits installed in accordance with the regulations connected to the same 32A MCB be dangerous?

As I say I wouldn't do it, except as a temporary measure to restore supply, so I'm just curious about the thought process behind the statements.

In all honesty I cannot see anything in Bs7671 that this would contravene other than good workmanship. If it originates from one MCB it is a single circuit. Despite what has been said about it overloading there is no reason to assume it would be. A single ring with 10 double sockets could have 20 3kw heaters plugged into it.
Very poor practice though and it needs altering on that basis.
edit. Post crossed with Sparkychick who has reached the same conclusion.

Reply to Ring main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back