Discuss Rose Circuit to Downlight in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Louie1217

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new here, hopefully a simple question for the professionals.

I am installing down lights in an upstairs bedroom. The plasterer has gracefully removed the lamp and pushed the cables up into the loft.

In the loft I now have a cable coming from the bedroom light switch and a second cable going, I think to another light switch as these now don’t switch on

I have some downlights, ones which I’ve installed myself in another room with no issues except there was no rose wiring in place.

My first question is why have the bathroom lights lost power?

My second question is how does the wiring work so the down lights work and the would this wiring then allow the bathroom lights to have power?

My low level understanding is that the ‘power in’ is coming from the bedroom light switch, providing power to the bedroom lighting and a live switch is on play to provide power to the bathroom. Is that right?

Also, I have an electrician coming in a few days to fix the wiring. I just have one of those minds where I like to understand how it works.

TL;DR
Rose circuit to a down light - how to wire it
Hi - if the bathroom lights used to work and now don’t following Mr Plaster moving cables in an adjoining room it’s likely the permanent through connection to the bathroom has been lost. The rose would likely have had L/N/E in from fusebox and out to the next room. Then locally the N goes to light and L goes to room’s switch and back to light as switched L.

Safety Reminder : ensure power is off before opening junction boxes etc.

As above. There is a live in and a live out at the rose, with another cable going to switch.

Without knowing what the plasterer has done, there may be an exposed live cable lying in the attic.

If the cables aren’t marked, you won’t know which is which without tracing which one goes to switch. This could be done by your electrician easily enough though using his continuity tester.

Thanks for the replies, the plasterer has taped up the cables separately with black electrical tape. So there’s one cable coming from the bedroom light switch and another cable going to what I think is the bathroom light switch.

From your replies, I take it, it’s an easy fix?

Reply to Rose Circuit to Downlight in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net