Discuss running power to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A 100mA RCD fitted up stream of a 30mA RCD might still trip for before the 30mA, it depends on the individual components. The only way to RCD cascade a distribution circuit is to use a 100mA time delayed RCD, which will not count as additional protection (415), nor would a normal 100mA for that matter

bs7671 talks about rewireable fuses so if the customer can have the job done with in the regs for the price they want so happy with the cost. its like some people want the work and some see it as a problem and would like to live in the perfect world

100% right

i wont work on old rewireable fuseboards now. if they need work done they should upgrade, otherwise it wouldn't pass any test/inspection regardless of the work done.
what complete twaddle this is...lol.....as long as the enclosure is still sound...and the fuses are of the correct rating+disconnection times have been met...then whats up with fuses to BS3036?....if you need additional protection by means of RCD for the work YOU carry out....then do so.....but that doesn`t mean you condemn a perfectly servicable piece of equipment on a whim.....this goes for PIRs/EICRs n all....

A 100mA RCD fitted up stream of a 30mA RCD might still trip for before the 30mA, it depends on the individual components. The only way to RCD cascade a distribution circuit is to use a 100mA time delayed RCD, which will not count as additional protection (415), nor would a normal 100mA for that matter
yes Bob but Leigh n I have come across several scenarios where 100mA RCDs have been used as an attempt at acheaving discrimination.....it all depends on the actual tripping current of the individual device and the amount of earth leakage its being subjected to.....

Balderdash, didn't see it was an old thread, I'm outta here...

I agree It would be good practice to first measure the total earth leakage and determine weather or not this RCD would be subject to nuisance tripping caused by the sum of appliances on original finals.. Although, I would have thought 100mA would be most cases (average domestic), provide adequate scope.
And no, it wouldn't provide addition protection to the original circuits, but we would achieve a source to add the Garage Unit.. My concern is in adding this RCD in front of the original Fuse board would we now be liable for the whole installation or would this job be classed as an additional circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to running power to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock