Discuss Service head query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi RWJ
Thanks for the welcome, with this hat on I'm the erstwhile curator of a forthcoming electrical museum 'Electrokinetica', but I do electrical installation as part of the day job too. So it's a bit of a busman's holiday really. I'll go and introduce myself properly on the new members forum area. A friend pointed out the picture of the vintage service cutout, and I thought it was about time to sign up so I could add my approval to the OP trying to save it for posterity.
Cheers
Lucien

From that statement, you’ve never come across old switchgear.

It would out last any modern isolator.
I do agree things aren't made as good as they once were but I think this is by it's best. Did a spell fitting meters and used to attend cut out replacements and guys from DNO said these were getting stuck in the off position quite often. Usually as per the OP new occupier being curious.

It's an ask.

Could you post up some pictures of the wooden capping and casing?

I’m interested in anything that’s electrical and old.

As an industry we don’t have a long history when compared to the other trades.

Much as we despise plumbers and fitters, we are the new boys in town.

What even Tel :tongue3:

Difficult to tell from the photo but if that's bitumen leaking from the supply cable then it also should be replaced at the same time.

Welcome along Lucien,

Are you a collector / museum?
Lucien...
is that a foreign word for:

Devil.jpg

Last edited:
Lucien...
is that a foreign word for...
Nope, just the French version of the Latin for light. I used to be a bulb in a former life. 150W GLS pearl BC, according to my birth cert.
L

Alfonso Reyrolle started the company making industrial switchgear. One of their best lines was HH switchgear, people think HH comes from its lay out. Reyrolle bought the rights to manufacture Holmes Hazmyer (Belgium) switchgear in the UK.

Yes Glenn I do like Reyrolle gear. The company is still going but only makes protection relays now.

HH gear. Sorry it’s a drawing, I took out loads of this stuff and never took a photograph.

HHswitch_zpscced679d.jpg

Class “B” 11KV dual bus-bar horizontal isolation.

ReyrolleClassB-01_zpsce31c343.jpg

Class “D” We used it at 550V. I loved this gear, even though it tried to kill me!

421320813_8cd5efca3a-2_zps06a17b0b.jpg

The original maintenance manual. I’ve still got it!

Top bars were NWEB the bottom our power station.

With a bit of jigging about we could parallel NWEB to EMEB with our two power stations at 11KV.

We owned about 50 miles of OH lines. Part of the network had at it’s time the longest OH line span in the world.

I used to work on an ex ww2 site that had a load of reyrolle switchgear in the main switch room.
wish I had taken pictures in the day ....work of art and totally bulletproof.
it used to be mostly simplex switches left over from dc days in my neck of the woods.
still in serviceable condition after 60-70 years believe it or not.
capstan casing was made out of beech if I'm not mistaken.
it used to make great firewood..
i used to see loads of it when I started out but I've not seen any in ages tbh
must be getting old

Thanks for the info, I remember now it was Reyrolle Parsons. He then went on to LSE (Lawrence Scott Electromotors I think it was). There was a couple of others as well but it was tough times then so he moved around quite a bit. Finished with GEC Alsthom I think...
I agree that old head would certainly be a talking piece if cleaned up and put on show...

I’m interested in anything that’s electrical and old.

we would certainly be interested in giving it a home at Electrokinetica where we are starting to build displays of early wiring systems. I need to find complete sets of equipment from each decade - easier said than done these days.

I have a few south african equivalents, similar to the one in the OP but 60amp 3-phase cast iron with internal blade isolator and ceramic fuse carriers. Organise the courier and they're yours if you want them, I ripped them out of a small commercial installation last week and they're heading for the scrap bin otherwise. I'll post a photo of two later if can find my camera.

Reply to Service head query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net