Discuss Should I get the main earth changed by the DNO? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been asked to upgrade a fuse board, however, when I did an initial visual inspection, I noticed the main earth from the DNO is unsheathed (TN-S), it’s strands that are clearly ancient!
I haven’t yet carried out any tests. Should I get the DNO to change the earth? Will they actually bother changing it? A new smart meter has recently been fitted and the tails were upgraded - should they not have replaced the earth then?
This picture shows the MET - the other cable is main bonding.
Any thoughts?Should I get the main earth changed by the DNO? E20B2D41-8D2D-4374-8AAE-1BB43C09305A - EletriciansForums.net

Cosidering it the main earth from the dno which is nowt do with you .
And all test are good for Ze then i would get some green and yellow. Tape on the main earths to show any body cuting it off and a sign earths connection do not remove .
[automerge]1568504892[/automerge]
You also said a smarta## meter has been fitted is their a islolator near the main cut out ,other wise the tooth fairy needs to pull the main cut out .

Last edited:
Cosidering it the main earth from the dno which is nowt do with you .
And all test are good for Ze then i would get some green and yellow. Tape on the main earths to show any body cuting it off and a sign earths connection do not remove .
[automerge]1568504892[/automerge]
You also said a smarta## meter has been fitted is their a islolator near the main cut out ,other wise the tooth fairy needs to pull the main cut out .
There has been an isolator fitted yes so no need to touch their stuff...

This is perfectly normal, it's a bare cable soldered to the service cable lead when that was installed. The CSA is usually smaller than you would choose today but in practice invariably meets (and well exceeds) the minimum required to satisfy the adiabatic, in which case it's fine. The leccy doesn't care whether it's green & yellow. In some countries bare main earths are standard practice today, they cannot be mistaken for anything else and any damage is easily visible.

I have been asked to upgrade a fuse board, however, when I did an initial visual inspection, I noticed the main earth from the DNO is unsheathed (TN-S), it’s strands that are clearly ancient!
I haven’t yet carried out any tests. Should I get the DNO to change the earth? Will they actually bother changing it? A new smart meter has recently been fitted and the tails were upgraded - should they not have replaced the earth then?
This picture shows the MET - the other cable is main bonding.
Any thoughts?View attachment 52157

Do a quick ze test. If it's a good earth I'd sleeve it and use it. If not then get the dno involved

send your apprentice to stores for some green/yellow striped paint.

If the Ze is good then dno won't be interested at all and neither should you.

You could ferrule the two multiwire terminations at the MET (526.9.1), I imagine you'd need to use the uninsulated variety to get sufficient length so as to maintain two terminal screws per termination, as an insulated ferrule would be too short and restricted by its insulation.

You could ferrule the two multiwire terminations at the MET (526.9.1), I imagine you'd need to use the uninsulated variety to get sufficient length so as to maintain two terminal screws per termination, as an insulated ferrule would be too short and restricted by its insulation.
similar thoughts. could just be tidied up a bit. no need for ferrules though as it's 7 strand, just give it a bit of a twist.

This is perfectly normal, it's a bare cable soldered to the service cable lead when that was installed. The CSA is usually smaller than you would choose today but in practice invariably meets (and well exceeds) the minimum required to satisfy the adiabatic, in which case it's fine. The leccy doesn't care whether it's green & yellow. In some countries bare main earths are standard practice today, they cannot be mistaken for anything else and any damage is easily visible.
If it all checks out ok - I will change the earth from the MET to my new fuse board to a proper one anyway..

If it all checks out ok - I will change the earth from the MET to my new fuse board to a proper one anyway..
good move. the DNO provided earth will outlast me and probably you as well. sometimes the old school solutions are best. ( now where's my wind-up Megger?).

The service cable needs terminating, there should be a cover over the cable end at the bottom of the cut out. In effect the cable is single insulated. DNO would upgrade main earth at same time.

The service cable needs terminating, there should be a cover over the cable end at the bottom of the cut out. In effect the cable is single insulated. DNO would upgrade main earth at same time.

The service cable is terminated and appears to have a heat shrink breakout boot fitted so the cable is in effect not single insulated.

at least you have something. British Gas changed my meter and forgot to put the main earth back. they upgraded the meter tails and tails from the henley block but completley forgot to put the main earth back in. I only noticed when I went to turn off the supply one day.

Reply to Should I get the main earth changed by the DNO? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock