Discuss Shower install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aes2011

Looking for the best solution on a damage limitation rewire...

Two bedroom semi with a 10.5kw shower in bathroom upstairs wired to a 45a p.c in 10.0mm t&e. There is no way of getting to shower unless the wall is chased out in bathroom or hallway. Problem is client does not want her bathroom damaged or hallway damaged and insists on no trunking. The existing switch wire is run in 6.0mm t&e.

Any ideas?

Wording Is pretty crap, on my mobile.

There is a 10.0mm coming from DB to pull cord and an existing 6.0 switch wire going to shower. Trying to find a solution to re wire the switch wire without any damage.

can you run outside in pvc conduit?

tell the silly moo to buy a wireless shower if she won't have a cable run to it.

How about a nice 9KW shower??????????

Totally agree, only option given the circs and wil cost a lot less then redecorating, and besides how hot do you want your shower? lol​

beats me how these customers buy these ridiculous high power showers, then think we can magic them to work without installing cable. iv'e just installed a 8.5kW mira , partly because i refuse to attempt to force 2 10mm cables into a pull switch designed for max. 6mm. on full heat it's scalding. why on earth go for 10.5kW?????

Last edited:
I have a 10.5kw to fit, and upgrade of cable to 10mm. I think the reason is not for total heat output, but the heat to pressure ratio. The 10.5kw shower can heat the water up to a good temperature without having to reduce the flow to a prostate cancer restricted urine flow amount.

DOH... always thought the purpose of a shower was to get clean, not to drown under a torrent of scalding water.

If you lived in sunny East Anglia you would understand the need with the farty water pressure we get round here!

If you know how the shower is wired from the switch in 6mm cable then it could be possible. If the cable is clipped direct then as Table 4D1A states the cable is rated at 47 amps. It should be realised that the shower does not run flat out all the time only when it is heating at max.

All ways do the job correctly,you will have to run new 10mm from switch then down to shower in trunking or by removing a few tiles,or she gets a lower rated shower,if not you will have to walk away

Looking for the best solution on a damage limitation rewire...

Two bedroom semi with a 10.5kw shower in bathroom upstairs wired to a 45a p.c in 10.0mm t&e. There is no way of getting to shower unless the wall is chased out in bathroom or hallway. Problem is client does not want her bathroom damaged or hallway damaged and insists on no trunking. The existing switch wire is run in 6.0mm t&e.

Any ideas?
a 2 bedroom semi with a 10.8KW SHOWER??!!....what the hells it all coming to...lol....

It should be realised that the shower does not run flat out all the time only when it is heating at max.

Surely that's all the time? The resistance of the coil will very slightly after its warm. But it probably won't be noticeable.
The temperature control on the front varies water flow not current!

To control the temperature with electricity rather than water flow would double the price of showers!

Last edited:
I think people are getting a tad confused about how most showers work. You choose the high (full) setting or the economy (half) setting and then vary the temperature with the flow rate. Apart from when the incoming mains water is very warm, everyone will choose the max setting which pulls full load current. Turning the heat down a bit does not stop a shower from running at maximum power.

AS a 10.5kW shower pulls 43.5A and you are using a 45A ocpd then what's the problem with using 6mm?
6mm has a ccc of 47A provided the installation method is C. If it passes through any insulation in the loft, then re-route it so it's on the woodwork in fresh air. Use 4 inch pipe to provide an air space where the cable must pass though the insulation layer.

Reply to Shower install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock