Discuss Shower/TT/wylex-rewireables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

12345aob

I have a friend in a rural location with an old board and no space for a shower rcd unit (too tight for new CU) it’s on 30 amp fuse and 6mm T&E.

He is having a new bathroom fitted and wants me to install a new shower and give him a cert. But I’m sure every shower manufacture now will state on the installation instructions to give 30mA protection?

I've told him he should think about a new CU- what do you guys think?

Ideally a new CU would be the way to go, however, that can involve extra costs if any faults are present, so the alternative is to install a small 1 way CU with RCD protection for the shower circuit.

Split the tails, install a 100A dp isolator, into a service block then tails into main Cu and tails into small one.

Dont forget to make sure main bonding & earthing is up to date.

But I’m sure every shower manufacture now will state on the installation instructions to give 30mA protection?

Never mind the manufacture, every circuit in a room containing a bath or shower must be protected by a 30ma rcd.

Not a prob.

Put the lighting in the bathroom on an RCD spur in the loft so that it just protects just the lighting.

Still cheaper than a new CU.

'That can involve extra costs if any faults are present' - What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely the priority must be that the installation is safe!!

The shower and bathroom lighting must be protected by RCD!

I have a friend in a rural location with an old board and no space for a shower rcd unit (too tight for new CU) it’s on 30 amp fuse and 6mm T&E.

He is having a new bathroom fitted and wants me to install a new shower and give him a cert. But I’m sure every shower manufacture now will state on the installation instructions to give 30mA protection?

DOH!

Just re-read your post!

Scrap that idea and put in a new CU if there is no space for a shower unit. Not really any way round it.

I should have gone to specsavers.:cool:

Never mind the manufacture, every circuit in a room containing a bath or shower must be protected by a 30ma rcd.

Thats only true for a new install if your not touching those other circuits they don't need RCD protection as they were to spec when installed. None of the changes in the 17th have to be done unless you are working on that circuit if your not touching it it can stay as is.

'That can involve extra costs if any faults are present' - What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely the priority must be that the installation is safe!!

Not true see my post below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats only true for a new install if your not touching those other circuits they don't need RCD protection as they were to spec when installed. None of the changes in the 17th have to be done unless you are working on that circuit if your not touching it it can stay as is.

The fact that he is wiring for and connecting a new shower means that the shower circuit comes under the 17th. The origional post also said that a new bathroom was being fitted. If this involves work on the electrical instalation then that too comes under the 17th. So rcd protection.

Why on earth would we be encouraging anyone or trying to find a way out of putting RCD protection on a shower????
Comon guys - if your going to do a proper job here, you should not be looking for little loop holes to provide you with an excuse not to, you know damn well the best thing to do here is provide RCD protection.

Nobody is trying to get out of installing rcd protection. He has been asked to install a shower which he can rcd protect on an rcd in the loft ,he doesnt have to make work for himself by iterfearing with the lighting circuit

Why on earth would we be encouraging anyone or trying to find a way out of putting RCD protection on a shower????
Comon guys - if your going to do a proper job here, you should not be looking for little loop holes to provide you with an excuse not to, you know damn well the best thing to do here is provide RCD protection.

I think you need to calm down a bit.

As been said, no one is 'getting out of' of putting an RCD on anything.

The shower manufacturers are asking for the RCD which will be put in.

This has nothing at all to do with the rest of the install, although supplementary and main bonding should be checked etc.

The 16th edition wasn't worried about RCD's on everything was it??

quite right, i think people are mis reading stuff here, cus by the sounds of it a new cu cant be put in because its in such a tight place, obivously the guy wants to put an RCD on it, but is asking everyones opinion in doing so, some nice ideas tho ? my question is if u put an rcd half way down the cable to the shower, wat about the bit from the cu to the rcd not been protected?

I was not disputing the fact that the shower does need an RCD but was saying that the lights don't if hes not doing anything to them. But as it has been pointed out a whole new bathroom is being fitted so if new lights are going in they will also need RCD protection but only if he is gonna change anything on that circuit.

My point was that if you are telling people that they need this and that (eg RCD protection) on their house to bring it up to 17th edition regs when its on circuits that are not being altered two things will happen 1: you will
not get any work and 2: you will end up on rouge traders! Nicola you can not be telling people it must have this if the circuits are not being touched at best you put them down as a code 4 (does not comply with current regs) and advise them that its out of date but not tell them it must be altered, you should know this being a lecturer. If thats what your telling your students your gonna get them in trouble!

I am calm people - read my posts properly - never once have I said anything MUST have RCD protection if the circuits are not being touched, just the shower (and preferably the lights).

It did look like there was some disputing going on as to wheather or not the shower actually needed an RCD? Which seemed bizzarre to me!

Even if you go back to the 16th - anything in zone 1 MUST be additionally protected by an RCD. (Im assuming it is in zone one!!!)

I do appreciate that the original post was looking for advice, help and ideas but sometimes the replys can be misleading, but can also be read wrong.

According to the regs this shower MUST MUST MUST be protected by RCD!

Kris - last few lines of your last post - patronising - very patronising - read my posts properly!!

Certainly looks like a 'must' to me.:D

Whilst everyone who asks a question here will appreciate valid replies, you should try and answer with a bit more detail!

Anyways, chill out everyone.

Its christmas.

Short dist circuit to new RCD CU has to be the way, GOT to be RCD protected iaw 17th Edition. Lots of different makes of Dist Board out there, in all sorts of configurations/shapes/sizes...I heard somewhere that CEF will knock up a unit to fill any funny space you have...won't be cheap but as you say; safety first.

Will a new board fit? It has to be a lot cheaper materially than two sub boards. If you're worried or your friend is about unforeseen problems with the new twin rcd layout test it first. this is not a recommendation but ins res test loop tests etc should indicate whether there are any probs round the corner. It's a real ****t3r trying to help your mates but trying also to stay on the same side of the law. Also does a rouge trader illegally market lipstick? Only kidding!!

Reply to Shower/TT/wylex-rewireables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock