Discuss Shower upgrade on a very old consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky in training

Hi all

Came across a situation today where somebody was enquiring about upgrading their shower from an 7.5kw to a 9.5. Apparently he had a very old consumer unit with only 4 circuits. lights up and down, sockets up and down. cooker and existing shower. I wanted to know how you guys would tackle this job? I'm aware of the requirements of ADS and cable sizing etc however how would you have dealt with he old fuse box, this contained the rewireable fuses.

Could you upgrade one of those fuses to say 45amp and then go into a new consumer unit with a MCB / RCD or RCBO or would you recommend a new CU?

Would the regulations see this as an alteration to an existing circuit seeing as the cabling will require upsizing? If it is classed as a new circuit can the existing CU be used as it is metal and just put an RCD in?

split the tails into th old CU using henley blocks. then fit a "garage board" RCD and 2 MCB slots. 40A MCB for shower, thren divert your shower cable from old CU to your new one. assuming it'd 6.0mm and man enough for the 9.5kW, no derating due to itchy-poo. test and cert. then the old CU and what it feeds is none of your concern.

If installing a 2 way DB for the shower circuit,As it's in a special location I would also consider the requirement of rcd protecting any circuit contained in the bathroom, despite not working on say the lighting you are changing the shower and the characteristics of the circuit by providing rcd protection to the shower.
Supplementary bonding the circuits in the bathroom to any extraneous parts is also an option.

I don't see how splitting the tails and adding a board for the shower is the "house basher" option.....If the customer hasn't the budget for a CCU change then you are doing them an injustice by not offering the option of doing it this way. I would go as far to say that not offering the option could be seen as trying to rip the customer off as you only want the CCU change out of it.

I don't see how splitting the tails and adding a board for the shower is the "house basher" option.....If the customer hasn't the budget for a CCU change then you are doing them an injustice by not offering the option of doing it this way. I would go as far to say that not offering the option could be seen as trying to rip the customer off as you only want the CCU change out of it.
Don't bite lee :)

lol....it's just some people don't seem to live in the real world and seem to see everything through rose tinted glasses....Yes in an ideal world the customer would go for the CCU change but some people just can't afford it. I've had to do similar for an OAP in the past. :)
I've done the same because the existing cu had tinned copper stranded cables and a poor overall IR , so rather than touch the existing wiring,I added a separate consumer unit and installed a new circuit for the shower and lighting in the bathroom.
Electrics isn't always straight forward and you have to adapt while trying to keep within the regulations as far as reasonably practicable.

IMO, going for the CU upgrade does make good sense, however if the budget is tight then additional small 2 way will do the job. Lets remember all of us, that remembers countless switch gear for lights, power etc, we were all encouraged to condense such arrangements into one unit a long time ago.!

Replacing the whole board would be the best option but if they don't want to pay for it use a 1 way board protected by an end or just use an rcbo. Cable may also need changed to 10.mm depending on how far away shower is.

Reply to Shower upgrade on a very old consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net