Discuss Single phase motor reversing with brake and centrifugal switch in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been given a motor and associated control gear within a panel that has been water damaged.

This motor has 3 windings U1/U2, V1/V2 and Z1/Z2, 1 pair of wires for the brake and 1 for cut-out I believe.

In the process of wiring a new panel up for it and it know its a long shot but can anyone provide a diagram for wiring a single phase motor with centrifugal switch that also is reversing.

I believe Z1/Z2 switch polarity to make this happen.

Cheers

With those terminal markings I would normally expect:
U1 / U2 = main winding
V1 / V2 = centrifugal switch
Z1 / Z2 = auxiliary winding (capacitor winding if cap(s) fitted.)

Yes, to reverse direction, the auxiliary winding is reversed relative to the main. You can do it with two 4-pole contactors or three 2-pole (line, forward, reverse). Forward and reverse should be interlocked electrically and/or mechanically. Depending on application and whether the motor is PSC, cap start or cap start and run, the control circuit might need to be interlocked with the centrifugal switch, to prevent the motor re-starting in the same direction if an attempt is made to reverse it while still coasting above switch operating speed. Again according to application this might have significant safety ramifications and proper RA and design is necessary.

With those terminal markings I would normally expect:
U1 / U2 = main winding
V1 / V2 = centrifugal switch
Z1 / Z2 = auxiliary winding (capacitor winding if cap(s) fitted.)

Yes, to reverse direction, the auxiliary winding is reversed relative to the main. You can do it with two 4-pole contactors or three 2-pole (line, forward, reverse). Forward and reverse should be interlocked electrically and/or mechanically. Depending on application and whether the motor is PSC, cap start or cap start and run, the control circuit might need to be interlocked with the centrifugal switch, to prevent the motor re-starting in the same direction if an attempt is made to reverse it while still coasting above switch operating speed. Again according to application this might have significant safety ramifications and proper RA and design is necessary.
Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

The new contactors are mechanically interlocked and the brake is wired through the N/O auxiliary contact of both contactors in parallel.

Reply to Single phase motor reversing with brake and centrifugal switch in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net