Discuss Singles in conduit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Richard

Hi, Great site you have here guys. I`v being watching for a few months, and now have a question.

In colege, they have told us that when wiring in steel conduit, all wiring is done in single core cables, as opposted to Twin+earth.

Is there a reason for this?

Would seem logical to me to use Twin+earth, to keep things tidy...

Thanks in advance.

Richard

yes'm...gonna need some pretty large conduit or numerous smaller runs if you're gonna be using T & E and would be hellish to draw cables in...also would have to sleeve all your cpc's too...pain in the arse when there's no need....singles are the future, i've tasted them. ;)

I think they use singles in domestic work on the continent don't they? I know they use conduit - brilliant for re-wiring.

hiya, glad you've started posting ;) , i think its a right pain getting say' 2 x twin + earth down 20mm conduit, like Grae said its the furture. rather not get bogged down feeding cable down a tube all day, when ya can be doing something more productive,

If its steel conduit ,you can always try putting the neutrals in a seperate pipe,if you dont have room .anything for a bit of fun,
all the very best in the world
rumrunner

Gents, if you were to run twin and earth, how exactly would you work ouit your conduit factors?.......:rolleyes:

cos' you do work out your conduit factors dont you.....? chaps....?:rolleyes:

the tables only have singles in them.

if you used twin and earth you would have to greatly change your factors because of the additional insulation in there......

and neutrals in a seperate pipe, hope we're not going down the route of single conductors in ferrous enclosures here........:eek:

I had a similar problem years ago,doing council rewires,all the switch drops and some sockets were 3/4 inch conduit,but it wasnt a conduit system as such ,so we had to use tae which was a very tight fit and not a very good job ,,the reason they were conduits was the walls were solid concreate and the pipes were obviously installed before the concreate was pored,some guys stripped the tae ,but this was considered bad practice by most.the whole job was a nitemare,and took ages
all the very best in the world
rumrunner
and Tony,i was only joking about seperate pipes for the neutrals , its not a good Idea!

Like i said guys, if you put twin and earth in conduit, then you cant possibly have worked out your conduit factors

are you chaps suggesting you DONT spend 2 hours in the regs before every job???:rolleyes:

that takes all the fun out of it:D

regards

Tony (promising to get out more):eek:

personally i don't spend 2 hrs before every job immersed in the regs......has to be at least 4.....sometimes i just read the lot before breakfast!... :)

Embarrasing question
Singles-does that just mean separate wires
One neutral wire one cpc wire one line enclosed in conduit
Rather than the all in one cable t&e

T&E is generally solid conductors , whereas singles are stranded and more pliable without the fear of conductor breakage when pulling around bends etc ,

Hi, Great site you have here guys. I`v being watching for a few months, and now have a question.

In colege, they have told us that when wiring in steel conduit, all wiring is done in single core cables, as opposted to Twin+earth.

Is there a reason for this?

Would seem logical to me to use Twin+earth, to keep things tidy...

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Yes Rich a sealed conduit system be it metal or PVC is an ideal way of wiring with singles, imagine wiring a lighting circuit in twin and earth in conduit, near impossible.

Reply to Singles in conduit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock