Currently reading:
sizing containment for T&E

Discuss sizing containment for T&E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience sizing cable tray/ basket and trunking which is used for twin and earth cabling?

The on site guide only provides guidance and factors where single core PVC cables are used.

I am looking for help where twin and earth is used.

Like I already stated the OSG only provides guidance for single core cables.
so use the same tables. you won't be far out. as to how many cables, basically there should be approx. 50% cable and 50% airspace in the trunking. or.................. when you can't get the lid on, you know it's too full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I already stated the OSG only provides guidance for single core cables.
so use the same tables. you won't be far out. as to how many cables, basically there should be approx. 50% cable and 50% airspace in the trunking. or.................. when you can't get the lid on, you know it's too full.

How can you use the same tables when its completely different type of cable.

Come on guys do any of you actually carry out design work or do you just guess and hope for the best.

Its a generic question. how dies one calculate how many Twin and Earth cables can fit on x size cable tray. Yes I know you can work out the diameter if the cable and multiple, but in reality cables are not butted right up to each other. Is there a factor that is applied.

Well seeing as neither the BGB or OSG have any info regarding this then no there isnt.

like i said. use the tables for singles and assume T/E is poorer at heat dissipation due to it's sheath so derate by a factor that you determine using common sense. BS7671 is not the bible.( even if IET think it is)

like i said. use the tables for singles and assume T/E is poorer at heat dissipation due to it's sheath so derate by a factor that you determine using common sense. BS7671 is not the bible.( even if IET think it is)

Will you please re read the OP. I am not looking for cable size. I'm looking for tray size.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many cables? More information needed.

Also, @ the earlier posters that poo-pooed the twin and earth in trunking, I have worked on student accommodation where 4x4 trunking run around the ceiling/ wall joint and drops done in mini -trunking, wired in Twin. Also office space where all runs done in twin from DB up into attic space, along tray, boxed in drops in corners to skirting dado, etc..

Making generalisations just shows lack of real life situations.

Find this hard to believe....a construction company will have submitted a cable schedule and the design for containment...The normal schedule will always be for lsf singles in supported galv trunking, db armored on tray size to suit quantity plus future additions. And basket suited for data, and basket for fire/security. For all those who keep harping on about escape route containment, this is why designers have chose this method over the past 5 plus years

Reply to sizing containment for T&E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back