Discuss skirting trunking in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is it skirting trunking or dado trunking? Have not fitted this stuff a floor level - brittle plastic at floor level sounds suspect to me - too easy to damage. Always fitted it at dado height just above the work surface - computer desks etc.

definitely talking about skirting trunking not dado (which i have a lot to install over the coming weeks)

I would have a carefull luck at the environment itis to be fitted in, if you think it might get easily damage and hence become a safety issue i would tackle the designer about it.

i have seen this stuff smashed by kids playing marbles - yes i am that old!

Will not generally install this apart from running cables in. Did have one customer who insisted on having sockets put in it, in a suite of offices. Did the installation in the first office got some carpet tiles and put them infront of a socket and asked him to plug something in with a moulded plug.
He changed his mind and we ended up putting surface mount at a suitable height, linked by mini trunking to the skirting.

No way round the height issue as far as I can see, unless its a very big skirting!!!!!!

The is one manufacturer who instead of mounting sockets within the trunking mounts them above but I cannot remember who it is at present.

So is skirting trunking illegal? Err no

of course this all depends where you are installing it

heights of sockets comes under part M, and that only applies to domestic dwellings, like part p. So if it was in a school, hospital, etc etc then there wouldnt be a problem

Just to throw a spanner in the works, The Disability Discrimination Act now requires sockets and switches, in commercial and industrial environments, to be set a height accessible for persons with limited reach capabilities, as well as in new domestic situations.

cheers tony .
where does it say the regs have to comply?? on what grounds can i fail the installation upon testing ???

Hi Wayne,

It is an interesting one because according to the regs the installation complies however when I have come across this situation I have pointed out the requirement and also the impracticality of the product and worked within their requirements. The carpet tile and moulded plus I have used a couple of times. the ideal situation is a written quote so that you have a copy of recommendations in writing.

On an existing installation there's not a lot can be done if they say they want the sockets in the trunking.

It's a great industry we work in isn't it?

Tony

Reply to skirting trunking in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock