Discuss Socket height regulation in old home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello
I am hoping to find a definitive answer to this as heard.
Socket height regulation of 450mm is for new builds only not for old houses. What about renovating old houses for example a basement renovation but in an Edwardian home? What would pass building regs?
Many thanks

The rule is for new builds only, renovations do not apply. However the sockets need to be placed at a height that doesn't cause damage to the flex on the plug top, such as older installations where the socket outlets were mounted on skirting boards.

Basically stick them where you want but apply a bit of common sense.

Thanks all! Common sense not applied in our basement (all socksts ridicously high ) and was told it was regulation. Wanted to be sure when passing on advise to clients as I am an.interior designer. Thanks again!

Socket height regulation in old home 20180623_082902 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks all! Common sense not applied in our basement (all socksts ridicously high ) and was told it was regulation. Wanted to be sure when passing on advise to clients as I am an.interior designer. Thanks again!

View attachment 42920
you might think they are ridiculously high now, but when you get old and decrepit, like me, with a bad back, you'll appreciate not having to bend double to insert a plug. :D:D:D.

New homes are a pain.

Sockets are higher, light switches are lower and around a dozen smoke detectors in every room!
And who's bright idea was thermal insulation? That stuff just throws my cable calculations out the window.... and it itches!

You can get round the sockets on skirting boards causing stress to the flex by mounting them upside down. ;)

Disclaimer;- Saturday morning irony :p

Very nice room, that outlet can be relocated with a bit of work. Usually see ones that are a bit too low. Pic is for illustration purposes, not my work :) .

Socket height regulation in old home IMG_1099.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Very nice room, that outlet can be relocated with a bit of work. Usually see ones that are a bit too low. Pic is for illustration purposes, not my work :) .

View attachment 42921
Way too tidy. If that was me there'd be cracks halfway up the wall where the plaster had popped and only the paint is holding it in place.

Stubble distinction and didn'td affect the op but technically it's not just new builds that part m it applies to, but new dwellings of any kind. So that would include any kind of conversion from barn, shop, warehouse, pub, etc.
Al new accessories in an extension can be matched with existing heights.
We have one light switch in our 4 bed house that's at 1200, all the rest are arm pit height. I believe the door hinge was reversed at some point.

Hello
I am hoping to find a definitive answer to this as heard.
Socket height regulation of 450mm is for new builds only not for old houses. What about renovating old houses for example a basement renovation but in an Edwardian home? What would pass building regs?
Many thanks
It's still not a new build but it's not a bad idea to bring it up to latest regs

fitting sockets @ 450mm is a good idea. light switches @ 1200mm is bad as children can reach them. then again, children pre-teens should be kept in a cage. once 13, then sheds are useful.

Just renovated my house and put the sockets where I wanted. Biggest problem was getting them level with each other when first fixing the back boxes into bare sand stone.

Given that the great majority of items requiring to be plugged into a socket are generally used higher up that the floor - computers, radios, TVs, stereo sets, Satellite, electric clock radios, etc. I think it would make more sense to set an "optimum" level for sockets, say 1000mm or thereabouts. Low sockets as someone has already pointed out are difficult for not only the elderly but also anyone with a mobility issue - I for example recently tore all the ligaments in one knee and you would not imagine what an impact that has for reaching down and bending over even now some three months afterwards.

Higher level sockets would also remove the problems with small children poking things in.

Assuming also that the cables are run in the ceiling void there would also financial savings to be gained as well as associated environmental benefits.

Just me or do others agree ?

Given that the great majority of items requiring to be plugged into a socket are generally used higher up that the floor - computers, radios, TVs, stereo sets, Satellite, electric clock radios, etc. I think it would make more sense to set an "optimum" level for sockets, say 1000mm or thereabouts. Low sockets as someone has already pointed out are difficult for not only the elderly but also anyone with a mobility issue - I for example recently tore all the ligaments in one knee and you would not imagine what an impact that has for reaching down and bending over even now some three months afterwards.

Higher level sockets would also remove the problems with small children poking things in.

Assuming also that the cables are run in the ceiling void there would also financial savings to be gained as well as associated environmental benefits.

Just me or do others agree ?
What Voltages do you work with in your job 45140

Reply to Socket height regulation in old home in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock