Discuss Sparky Job Satisfaction in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

Vitesse

I had one of those jobs today. I got a call from a neighbour of an old couple who had totally lost their power in the house and there had been lots of smoke and arcing behind a kitchen socket they were really scared the whole lot was going to go up in flames. I don't normally do call out but seeing it was so close by and an elderly couple I thought ok.

I was just packing up my tools on another job at 7pm and was on site within 10 mins. They were gobsmacked when I turned up so quick. Had a quick look at everything, a bit of testing, found the problem, resolved it. Bit more testing after resolution. All good. Explained the results to them to reassure them that all was ok.

Total job time 1.5 hours and parts. I charged them the absolute bare minimum for the job to cover my costs just to see the pure relief in their faces.

I followed it up with a phone call a couple of hours later to see all was ok and said I am just around the corner if if you need me. I am going to pop around there tomorrow when I am walking the dog tomorrow to see if they are ok.

They just really tugged on my heart strings and I walked away feeling really happy to have reassured them all was ok. I might not have been profitable but it felt really good.

The thing is here is word of mouth is a good thing, an act of kindness is sometimes rewarded further down the line as they tell their family etc etc what a life saver you were and at a very reasonable rate... Keep up the good work.... I spent years doing little jobs, favours etc to build up a good name - I never advertise and I am mown under, only been going on my tod for 5yrs now. :)

Similar thing happened last year. 12 o'clock midnight on a Friday the house opposite alarm is set off. Went over to see if they were being broken into but I could see the lady of the house through the kitchen window in a flood of tiers with the phone book out. "I cant get it to stop, my husband is away for the night and it's waking up all the street!" (it was waking up the whole street lol). she was in a right flap about this bless.

Her code and the engineers codes did not work, popped back home and got some tools. I had to kill the panel and the bell box to shut it up, this 1980's system is fried.

"How much do I owe you?"

Told her just forget about it and go to bed, only took 15-20 mins and I could now go to bed! Following day her and the husband came to the front door and gave me a 24 crate of Stella :17:to say thank you. All I wanted to do is go to sleep but thanks for the beers :wink:

Reply to Sparky Job Satisfaction in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock