Discuss SPD requirements under 18th edition. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't done domestics for a while and have been asked to install an 18th edition CCU to a small terraced house ( 2 floors Ground and first). I been told that I need to install a SPD? Can someone confirm this is the case and are there any exceptions. Haven't done my 18th but will be doing so shortly. I found this from crab tree, option 3 appears to give the installer some discretion?

Regards peter

Do you have a copy of the 18th @Cazmac1? There is formula/calculation you can do to determine if it’s required.....but I believe at this time it’s only a recommendation anyway and determined by the cost of things it’s protecting or some such nonsense.......

Do you have a copy of the 18th @Cazmac1? There is formula/calculation you can do to determine if it’s required.....but I believe at this time it’s only a recommendation anyway and determined by the cost of things it’s protecting or some such nonsense.......
My boss has just done the 18th and he was adamant that is was required. He has been known to get it wrong on occasion so I wouldn't take his word. It's a PJ so not really his shout. I haven't got the current regs book so can't do the calc, If I can't get an answer I'll probably install one anyway.

Last edited:
Yes all new consumer units must have a SPD installed There is a flow chart in the OSG it is easier just to install one so I have been told.
I would suggest Ashley, that you read 3.7 OSG, Page 38-45, before making a rash statement like the one you have made.

Just for the record the project I'm currently on started in 2011, so I've been working to the 17th. Almost done now so will be doing the 18th shortly. Next Job is due to start in a few weeks. so Nice to have the guide for now. Having read the guide quickly I'm fairly certain an SPD is required due to the fact it is an HMO, with 5 residents so, would cause a lot of inconvenience to the occupants.

Reply to SPD requirements under 18th edition. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock