Discuss Speed control of power tools ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm looking for a device that can plug in line with a 16 a extension cable that will control the speed of brush motors on power tools, up to a 2000 w angle grinder. I have seen PCB units on eBay but I'm not sure which one would be suitable. It would be ideal if it could be switched between 240 and 110 v.

sourcingmap AC 220V 4000W SCR Voltage Regulator Dimmer Motor Speed Controller... | eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sourcingmap-AC-220V-4000W-SCR-Voltage-Regulator-Dimmer-Motor-Speed-Controller-/302222048976

I can put a bare PCB in an enclosure.

Those don't look of very high quality! The rating will be substantially lower than 4KW if connected to a motor. I'd use a big variac. :)

How low do you want the speed to go? If it's a universal motor you probably could use a variac or even a simple resistor to drop the voltage. I'm not sure how well a PWM controller will work on a power tool but I'd oversize it at least double the kilowatt rating of the tool if you're going to try one. Universal motors can also be run using DC so you could try a variable DC supply if you have access to one. Whatever you do there's a good chance you're going to damage the motor by overheating. As you drop the speed the cooling fan in the tool will be less effective if it's direct drive and also playing around with the supply the efficiency of the motor is likely to drop so it's a double whammy on the heat build-up.

Reply to Speed control of power tools ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock