Discuss Sports pavilion rcbos or rccb incommer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys.
I was asked to quote to replace a 3 phase db in a sports pavilion. All cables are twin and Earth in the wall.
Because it's a building open to the public I decide to go with rcbos on every circuit, to give extra protection and discrimination so they don't lose everything if a fault on one circuit. Problem is price. The got someone else to qoute as well now and they have apparently decide to only put rcbos on socket circuits and 100ma rccb as main switch.

My qustion is have I over done it with rcbos on every circuit? What would you guys think?

It is rather difficult to comment without seeing the complete set up.

But for a start why don't you tell us why you think every circuit needs rcd protection?

Hi dave,
well my main thinking was the fact that all cables are installed in the walls with no mechanical protection. And well gives then extra protection with it being a public pavilion.

Hi dave,
well my main thinking was the fact that all cables are installed in the walls with no mechanical protection. And well gives then extra protection with it being a public pavilion.

Does being in a wall automatically require RCD protection then?

Extra protection for who and from what?

Well if I read the on site guide 3.6.1 F you would say yes. But got the big book out 522.6.6 (v) tells me otherwise. I've over done it.

Is thin site guide relevant to this installation? I don't know as I don't own one, I get along just fine using the actual regulations rather than resorting to the simplified guides.

Ultimately the answer will lie in whether maintainence works are carried out by or under the supervision of suitably competent (or whatever it's called) person(s) or if any Tom dick or Harry may be drilling in to the walls.

Do you have any idea why the other company have quoted for a 100mA RCD?

Well if I read the on site guide 3.6.1 F you would say yes. But got the big book out 522.6.6 (v) tells me otherwise. I've over done it.

Which issue of the regs is this from?

...I get along just fine using the actual regulations rather than resorting to the simplified guides.

Ultimately the answer will lie in whether maintainence works are carried out by or under the supervision of suitably competent (or whatever it's called) person(s) or if any Tom dick or Harry may be drilling in to the walls.

Surely this clause has been removed from the regs, so 30mA RCD protection will be required for T&E buried in walls (you have to assume <50mm unless there's evidence to the contrary) irrespective of the type of building or who's maintaining it?

Surely this clause has been removed from the regs, so 30mA RCD protection will be required for T&E buried in walls (you have to assume <50mm unless there's evidence to the contrary) irrespective of the type of building or who's maintaining it?

Have they really removed it from the yellow book? What fresh nonsense is this?

I must admit I haven't concerned myself with that reg much as I haven't installed anything flush without an earthed protection for a long time.

Is thin site guide relevant to this installation? I don't know as I don't own one, I get along just fine using the actual regulations rather than resorting to the simplified guides.

Do you have any idea why the other company have quoted for a 100mA RCD?

No don't know why they want to put a 100ma rcd in. It's a TNCS / PME system I thought 100ma was for socket outlets exceeding 32A.

30mA rcd incomer would be non-compliant, 100ma incomer not appropriate

its either rcbos all round or...........

Is there any use of three phase equiptment in the building?

if its only single phase and likely to remain so, how about three single phase boards one on each phase with dual rcd

i had to do this once, bit naff but still was much cheaper than 30 odd rcbos

just a thought!

30mA rcd incomer would be non-compliant, 100ma incomer not appropriate

its either rcbos all round or...........

Is there any use of three phase equiptment in the building?

if its only single phase and likely to remain so, how about three single phase boards one on each phase with dual rcd

i had to do this once, bit naff but still was much cheaper than 30 odd rcbos

just a thought!
Hello welchybo, so I'm not so far out I should just got with my gut feeling then.

Reply to Sports pavilion rcbos or rccb incommer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net