Discuss Standard set up for emergency lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Been a while since I installed emergency lights as new. Bit rusty.

Now I’ve got a few rooms to wire in a building that are going to be rented out commercially.
I’m upgrading the db, to allow for expansion when other rooms start being worked on.
The customer just verbally told me what he needed, no plans as such.
I’ve brought up the subject of emergency lighting, as he hadn’t mentioned it.... but now I’ve got a few questions for you guys.
It’s down to cost to the customer as to how I design the emergency light circuit.

1. Does it have to have a key switch, or can I Have the emergency lights on a separate rcbo and use the breaker as a test switch? (Or an actual regular switch next to board?)

2. If I put a key switch in each room, would the switch isolate the normal lights as well, or leave the normal lights on while the emergency lights are being tested?

3. I have half a dozen old (unused) non maintained fittings from a previous employment needing used up but they are the old T8 tubes. (Could be 10 year old!) Are the newer LED versions any good? (Quick price check at CEF suggests I just buy new)

I’ll add to the questions if I think of any more

You require a suitable test facility. Non maintained fittings should operate upon failure of the general lighting, maintained not so provided they are illuminated at material times. You will need to correctly site the luminaires and calculate the illuminance using the manufacturers photometric data. Put in place suitable signage etc..
I assume you have a copy of BS5266:1.

Best solution will be to have one of the wholesalers come out and do a lighting design for you to absolve you of any liability in regards to the design.

Personally I'd put test switches in near the board and I would have the emergency lighting coming from the same MCB/RCBO that it is going to be supplying the local lighting in the area. If its individual suites I'd go for test switches adjacent to the light switches for the suites. The reason being is that should a fault develop on the lighting circuit the emergency lighting won't kick in due to it being on another circuit separated from the fault.

Unless you are conversant with BS5266-1 then, with respect, I suggest you have someone who understands the requirements carry out this work.

Non maintained fittings will need to be fed from the same local Lighting circuit,

Always put a test facility in, that way normal lighting can stay on whilst testing and it has a suitable test facility to boot

It’s down to cost to the customer as to how I design the emergency light circuit.

It's not really, it is mostly down to complying with the standards. Obviously cost can affect the specific choice of light fitting, but the number of points and their locations must be correct as per the standards.

I agree, SC, complying with standards, but I can only advise the customer on what’s required. It’s up to him whether he goes through with installing them or not.

So it’s either to standard or not at all.

It’s his liability.

On a similar subject. He’s asked me to put in a couple of (already purchased) interconnected smoke detectors. Not Aico, but same idea.
For commercial units, is this sufficient or should it be a zoned fire alarm panel?

Reply to Standard set up for emergency lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock