Discuss Standard switch to dimmer switch change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GLHOW93

DIY
Reaction score
I am trying to change over a standard switch to a dimmer switch, please see images attached, the current one is the image with the wiring in, and the new switch is the one with the blue boxes, please can someone help me to wire this onto the new switch, i have tried it already, but it tripped the electrics, maybe I got a wire mixed up?

Attachments

• Standard switch to dimmer switch change 20210322_163513 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210322_163513.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Standard switch to dimmer switch change 20210322_151418 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210322_151418.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 48
The wiring in the image with the wiring in is not complete. There are no wires in the L1 or L2 holes.
Also, the neutral wires are connected to the switch, but the dimmer has no neutral connection, so the neutrals will have to go into a separate connector.

Apart from the switch with the wiring not being complete/correct, if you have already tried the dimmer and connected what appear to be N cables as well as L cables across the dimmer, you may well have fried it!

I can see more wires in the back box.

There was a live in the L1 before I tried to put it onto a dimmer switch
Where is it now?
Do you have a pic of the original switch before you re wired it? It would have been a like for like swap
One option is those browns are the wires for just 1 switch (not the neutrals) and the 3 core coiled up in the back box is for the other switch. 2 way switched elsewhere

The N Loop terminal of the old switch has no function apart from holding the neutrals together.
As mentioned earlier, they could be in a choc block terminal for all the difference it makes.
wiring the neutral across the new dimmer will have fried it. I bet it’s rather black now and smells of burning??
Without knowing what was in L1 or L2 of the old switch, we can’t advise further.
But it would have been a simple swap over, just by following the same terminal markings.

thank you everyone for your replies, please see attached photo of what the wiring is currently on the old 2-way wall switch, do i just duplicate this onto the new dimmer switch?

Attachments

• Standard switch to dimmer switch change 20210323_095648 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210323_095648.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 26
thank you everyone for your replies, please see attached photo of what the wiring is currently on the old 2-way wall switch, do i just duplicate this onto the new dimmer switch?
The terminal marked loop will need a connector block because the dimmer has no connector for it after that it is a wire for wire swap

Have you read any of the replies? Didn't you say that that configuration didn't work? So no dont duplicate it.
As well as the neutrals not being wired into the dimmer, the left hand switch can't possibly be doing anything with it wired like that

Have you read any of the replies? Didn't you say that that configuration didn't work? So no dont duplicate it.
As well as the neutrals not being wired into the dimmer, the left hand switch can't possibly be doing anything with it wired like that
yes, i have read the replies, just trying to clarify everything, and yes your correct, the left switch doesn't power anything
thank you?

Reply to Standard switch to dimmer switch change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock