Discuss Stroma is it possible to fail assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm the NIC QS and Electrical foreman for a shopfitting firm and one of the subbys who has now come on board full time .He can't fill out a test cert at all didn't know where to bond water and doesnt know when an Rcd is required or not so uses RCBOs on every thing has no real knowledge of the regs Doesn't know how to test R1 R2 Yet he's stroma registered is that why it's cheap you pay their fee and your in.?

I've always got the impression that the NICEIC were the easy ones to join. Pay your money, jump through a few basic hoops and you're in.

I'm the NIC QS and Electrical foreman for a shopfitting firm and one of the subbys who has now come on board full time .He can't fill out a test cert at all didn't know where to bond water and doesnt know when an Rcd is required or not so uses RCBOs on every thing has no real knowledge of the regs Doesn't know how to test R1 R2 Yet he's stroma registered is that why it's cheap you pay their fee and your in.?
Probably, that's why these Schemes are a waste of space ALL of them, imo anyway. DO a short course pass the course pay your fees, and your in.

Hi @Michael James thomas good question. When I attended my STROMA assessment it was around five hours. We went through paperwork including level 3 exams, insurance, third party contract, GS85, EAWR, technical questions such as talking about R1/R2 adiabatic, types of system and when they are recommended for inspection time wise etc. complaint procedure all in all quite a thorough process. Then of course off to site to inspect installation and do Ze (with safe isolation!) and Zs and RCD testing. I definitely came away with the sense that if you were not an electrician it would have been clear as the questions (about fifty) on a science/techy level and practicals would soon show if you knew your onions. As @Wilko suggests is he really STROMA registered, I find it hard to beleive he could have got through with such a paucity of knowledge they are pretty thorough imo.

My assessments with Stroma have been most thorough. Assesments with previous cps providers less so (and by quite a long way)

To add to that I did become a member of NICEIC, just phoned them up had a chat and I was in. However I did not renew as the cost was unacceptable, the rudeness of the assessors totally unacceptable. As if I would pay such an exorbitant fee for such impoliteness. If I run my business the way NIC do I would not have a business.
EDIT: And anyway how can he have a level 3 qualification needed to be an electrician as a minimum, and can't fill in a cert I&T and commissioning is an essential part of level 3??? I presume he must have shown his qualies at the interview level???

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying this is what happened here at all - but it has happened historically with various forms of licensing that the person being examined is not the person who is named on the licence. Just saying.

that is shocking that he cant do that ,so have you rounded up a posy to run him out of town.:D

All I can say, perhaps they should have a spelling test instead. Posy of flower men, and asseent to change. Shirley you've got a spell checker, or was it too much Stella or crème de menthe last night. :D

I have 'failed' my Stroma assessment 4 times time during the last 5 years. Each time they find some form of 'non conformity' which I need to remedy. They never find anything wrong with the physical side but 2 years ago I had an out of date OSG, the year before I had not put a label on a FCU saying what it was.
They spend hours going through paperwork, asking me questions and visiting the site.
I like the fact Stroma are stringent and I never understand why some of the electricians call it mickey mouse. Stroma will not pass you unless you meet all of their requirements... good for them.

I've always got the impression that the NICEIC were the easy ones to join. Pay your money, jump through a few basic hoops and you're in.
Just goes to show how vast your knowlege is then.

Just goes to show how vast your knowlege is then.
I have 'failed' my Stroma assessment 4 times time during the last 5 years. Each time they find some form of 'non conformity' which I need to remedy. They never find anything wrong with the physical side but 2 years ago I had an out of date OSG, the year before I had not put a label on a FCU saying what it was.
They spend hours going through paperwork, asking me questions and visiting the site.
I like the fact Stroma are stringent and I never understand why some of the electricians call it mickey mouse. Stroma will not pass you unless you meet all of their requirements... good for them.
I am suprised you don't get telephone assessments now to be honest, like all the schemes it depends on how busy they are, obviously at the moment they have engineers, next year you may get a telephone call if they do not, regarding Stroma, they are the same as all the schemes, easy cash on the hip for nothing lol.

Reply to Stroma is it possible to fail assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock