Discuss Sub-mains earthing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lionscourt

I’ve recently run a supply to a garage and I had a question concerning the earthing. Here is the situation:

TT supply to house.
Supply goes into a time-delay 100mA RCD before it splits.
This then goes through a sub-mains isolator at the house.
3-core SWA runs about 60 metres to garage.
17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition consumer unit in the garage.
New earth spike installed for supply at the garage.

So, my question: Should the SWA section be connected to earth at both ends, or only at one? Is there a reason I would NOT want to connect the earth at both ends?

i would connect at both ends. that way the connection between the 2 rods should bring the Ze of both down.

didn't spot that. isolator need to be fused to protect the SWA.

no, the 60898is fine. it's just in your post 1 you didn't mention overcurrent protection for the SWA.

Hi
As it's a TT system at origin no problem connecting SWA earth at both ends, as mentioned before would help your earthing value. But if your origin earth was PME for example, then the SWA wire from origin should be earthed but not be connected to the consumer unit in the Garage, that should be earth free of PME, then the earthing arrangment for the Garage would become TT from the earth electrode allready installed.

Hi
As it's a TT system at origin no problem connecting SWA earth at both ends, as mentioned before would help your earthing value. But if your origin earth was PME for example, then the SWA wire from origin should be earthed but not be connected to the consumer unit in the Garage, that should be earth free of PME, then the earthing arrangment for the Garage would become TT from the earth electrode allready installed.
why??? what's wrong with the PME in the garage?

Nothing in princible, but the example above, running 60 meters and a new consumer unit to a garage could require a bond to a water supply or any other extraneous conductive parts therfore that could introduce a potential back into the PME zone. If the cable was 3 core 10mm then bonding requirments for 100amp PME supply would be ok

Reply to Sub-mains earthing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock