• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Sub-mains earthing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionscourt

EF Member
I’ve recently run a supply to a garage and I had a question concerning the earthing. Here is the situation:

TT supply to house.
Supply goes into a time-delay 100mA RCD before it splits.
This then goes through a sub-mains isolator at the house.
3-core SWA runs about 60 metres to garage.
17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition consumer unit in the garage.
New earth spike installed for supply at the garage.

So, my question: Should the SWA section be connected to earth at both ends, or only at one? Is there a reason I would NOT want to connect the earth at both ends?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
i would connect at both ends. that way the connection between the 2 rods should bring the Ze of both down.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
didn't spot that. isolator need to be fused to protect the SWA.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
no, the 60898is fine. it's just in your post 1 you didn't mention overcurrent protection for the SWA.

C

clive dobbs

Hi
As it's a TT system at origin no problem connecting SWA earth at both ends, as mentioned before would help your earthing value. But if your origin earth was PME for example, then the SWA wire from origin should be earthed but not be connected to the consumer unit in the Garage, that should be earth free of PME, then the earthing arrangment for the Garage would become TT from the earth electrode allready installed.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Hi
As it's a TT system at origin no problem connecting SWA earth at both ends, as mentioned before would help your earthing value. But if your origin earth was PME for example, then the SWA wire from origin should be earthed but not be connected to the consumer unit in the Garage, that should be earth free of PME, then the earthing arrangment for the Garage would become TT from the earth electrode allready installed.
why??? what's wrong with the PME in the garage?

C

clive dobbs

Nothing in princible, but the example above, running 60 meters and a new consumer unit to a garage could require a bond to a water supply or any other extraneous conductive parts therfore that could introduce a potential back into the PME zone. If the cable was 3 core 10mm then bonding requirments for 100amp PME supply would be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.