Discuss Supply cable in loft space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve g

Hi,
Can any one confirm / advise if the following situation is 'allowed ' with current safety regulations. A 160 year old row of terraced cottages with open loft space running through all 5 . The 10 16mm supply cables enter the building at one end and are drapped over the ceiling timbers very randomly , they then drop down to each cottage to a meter on the landing . Much of the cable has been covered with insulation and people have stored the normal 'loft' storage stuff on top of them . There seems to be a big safety issue here !

The owner of the first cottage wants to insulate and board out the loft and build a Fire wall between the next cottage's loft space, as was advised by the surveyor. Can he request or even insist that the cables to the other cottages are removed from his loft and re- routed ; probably outside .

Pretty sure he can insist. Obviously the cables have a reduced rating because of the insulation and are liable to suffer mechanical damage.

If the supplier is reluctant (which they will be) I would threaten them with charging them rent (including back rent) for the use of his loft space - if they put a pylon in a farmers field he would get rent, so it should be the same!

Thanks for your thoughts Tony. Does any one know of any written standards that they 'have ' to comply with on their side of the meter. that could be quoted to them. Everthing is so precise now on 'our' side of the meter.

I have now attached a photo of the offending supply wires...any more thoughts ??

Attachments

• Supply cable in loft space loft+2 - EletriciansForums.net
    loft+2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 135
One thing you could point out , you need to provide full isolation for the installation , its an accessable loft , how can it be isolated ,especially if its from another property .

you will possibly find fuse of some sort either outside where they enter the building or on the pole at transformer

as for getting the DNO to remove request this without mentioning the Rented space option as they will no doubt go for the rented space option if offered

As for the 5 lofts being linked check ith LA regarding this as they may request firewalls to seperate loft areas

Iv just checked the picture FFS looks like a big electric spiders just vomited cables IMO if they go for rented space demand they fit trunking to provide mechanical proection and move cables from central area of loft At their cost

I would think you will all end up with bills for service alterations because when the DNO installed the cables it complied with their installation regulations and they do not go round upgrading installs to current specs.

I wired a conversion two years ago which had the same problem, the customer got in touch with the leccy board (EDF) at the time and told them that the loft space was being converted so can they remove their cables which they done at their (considerable) cost, they had to put new pole at the rear of the property and then rewired all the houses from this pole by "moling" to the back wall and then up the back wall of each house !! I am glad i didn`t have to pay for it

Reply to Supply cable in loft space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock