Discuss Surface double sockets all have spur double sockets next to them - ok re. Regs ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
"Hello All",

One of my Cousins has bought a Flat and asked Me to look at the Heating System [prior to buying] while I was there I noticed a couple of surface mounted Double socket outlet `faceplates` cracked - He said that he would replace them.

While He was removing the Socket outlets he saw that the adjacent Double sockets were not part of the `Ring` but were `Spurs` wired from the other Double socket - because of that He then checked all of the surface mounted Double sockets that were installed in `Pairs` - at ALL of these Socket locations the 2nd Double socket was a `Spur` - wired from the [original ?] Double socket.

I THINK that I know that a `Spur socket` is allowable from another Socket and that the fact that these additional Double sockets are installed next to / touching the `Original` Double socket is irrelevant [as opposed to further away].

BUT I need to `Ask the Experts` on here about having 4 `Spur sockets` on one Circuit and 2 `Spur sockets` on the Kitchen Circuit ?

To Me it seems obvious that someone has wanted additional Double sockets and I am guessing carried out either a `DIY job` OR managed to convince an Electrician to add these additional Double sockets by just wiring each additional Double socket from the adjacent `Original` surface mounted Double socket.

The property has Wood Laminate Flooring throughout so I am guessing that these additional Sockets were not connected as part of the `Ring` because that would have required the Laminate Flooring in every Room to be damaged to move the `Ring` cable from under the Floor - behind the Skirting and into the additional Double socket pattress.

There are 4 of these additional / `Spur`Double sockets on the `Ring` circuit which supplies the Living Room and Bedrooms and 2 additional / `Spur` Double sockets on the Kitchen `Ring` circuit.

He [and I] would like to know if these additional `Spur sockets` are OK / within the Electrical Installation Regulations ?

I had wondered if there was a `Limit` to the number of Sockets on a Domestic Circuit ?

Please excuse my lack of the correct Electrical Terminology - e.g. I think that `Ring Circuit` is probably a term that You no longer use ?

Thanks in advance to all Members / Readers - I look forward to getting some replies.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
You can have as many spurs as ring points but no more than a single spur from each ring point. So no deviation from the regs here.

Last edited:
You can have as many spurs as ring points but no more than a single spur from each ring point. So no deviation from the regs here.

"Hello TJ Anderson",

Thank You very much for replying so quickly.

Your reply does answer this when You state that [from my description of the situation] that there are no deviations from the Regs - but perhaps for future Readers:

When You write - `but no more than a single spur from each ring point` - I take it that you mean a single `take off` to a new Socket [or Double socket] from a Socket outlet - NOT that the `Spur` has to be a Single socket - ?

Please excuse Me for wanting to clarify this and please don`t think that I am trying to be pedantic about your wording.

Thank You very much for your help with this.

Regards,

Chris

A single spur may feed one double or one single socket or one FCU.
So long as the number of single spurs is less than or equal to the number of point of use (that are not spurs) on the ring, this is acceptable (not good but acceptable).

For one a ring should be balanced
Should just take off one socket from a point within the ring

But I don't know if old regs let you

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...WeEtCYyh5UfBSDQbA&sig2=UzpDatanuHEurjis2vh8-w
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://electrical.------.org/wiring-regulations/updates/bs7671-2008-corrigendum-jul08.cfm%3Ftype%3Dpdf&ved=0ahUKEwj886XPt7zMAhUJK8AKHRPFCLoQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNE7FY9HjWgdOWeEtCYyh5UfBSDQbA&sig2=UzpDatanuHEurjis2vh8-w

To the OP you have 560 posts. Is this a real question?

"Hello Murdoch",

I am a Heating Engineer - the majority of my Posts on the Forum were written to try and help Members who had questions about Heating & Plumbing.

I became a Member to get help with wiring an unusual scenario [for Me] for a Boiler & Room Thermostat on a system without Zone valves - having received that help from Member Topquark I have remained `active` on the Forum for some Years in order to help other Members with Heating or Plumbing related questions as a `Pay Back` for that help that I received.

SO - irrespective of the amount of Posts that I have I have NEVER pretended to be particularly knowledgeable about Electrical Installations - and I have NEVER tried to answer an Electrical question on this Forum.

Although quite a few Years ago I did take the Corgi Defined Scope Part P Electrical Installation course and Assessment with a view to possibly wanting to carry out my own Heating Controls wiring.

This was somewhat of a `waste of money` because soon after that the Clients that I was installing Heating systems for [via a Builder] ALL wanted EVERY part of their Property`s Electrical Installation Installed and Certified by the same Company / Electrician [completely understandable] - they did not want the Heating Controls wiring installed and certified by Me / the Heating Engineer.

This meant that the Builder`s Electrician carried out all of the Heating Controls wiring on Heating systems that I installed for those Clients / the Builder - and He also wired my other Heating systems for a few Years after that.

Because of that some of the knowledge that I had at that time has been forgotten - as in the scenario `If You don`t use it you lose it` - but in any event that knowledge would probably NOT have covered this enquiry.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
For one a ring should be balanced
Should just take off one socket from a point within the ring

But I don't know if old regs let you

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...WeEtCYyh5UfBSDQbA&sig2=UzpDatanuHEurjis2vh8-w

"Hello DuaneMHunt1976",

Thank You very much for your reply and for the links to the Regulations pages.

Regards,

Chris

Prompted by that Murdoch, I just read some of his posts. I reckon it is!! :)

"Hello again TJ Anderson",

As You have read some of my Posts have You noticed that they are mainly related to Heating questions in answer to Members threads ?

I am hoping that there are NO Posts that would prompt Members to think that I am not to be taken seriously / replied to with the same amount of respect as any other Member - ?

I have not looked back at my Posts - but as I described to Murdoch I have NEVER tried to answer Electrical questions - although I have asked a few.

Thanks again for your reply to this question.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Surface double sockets all have spur double sockets next to them - ok re. Regs ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock