Discuss SWA - earthing the steel wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My stepson is a sparky & checks all the stuff I do & signs it off. He’s coming over next week to show me how to change the consumer unit!! :grinning:

For him to be able to legally sign anything off, he has to be there at specific points in the jobs progress, he also has to be registered under a Third Party Certification scheme, is he?

Who'll be doing the required testing before and after the job and who'll be completing the Electrical Installation Certificates and Part P to LABC notifications?

It's worrying when we hear an amateur attempting a job that can potentially cause death or injury, if not now, but in the future; who doesn't know what they're doing. (Your original question proves that).

Professional, legitimate electricians have had to invest £1,000's in training, test gear, scheme memberships and continual updating of their knowledge and resources. We're professionals for a reason, we know what we're doing, amateurs don't, and with electricity that's a dangerous situation.

"any idiot can get a circuit to work, but it takes knowledge to get it to work safely"

For him to be able to legally sign anything off, he has to be there at specific points in the jobs progress, he also has to be registered under a Third Party Certification scheme, is he?

Who'll be doing the required testing before and after the job and who'll be completing the Electrical Installation Certificates and Part P to LABC notifications?

It's worrying when we hear an amateur attempting a job that can potentially cause death or injury, if not now, but in the future; who doesn't know what they're doing. (Your original question proves that).

Professional, legitimate electricians have had to invest £1,000's in training, test gear, scheme memberships and continual updating of their knowledge and resources. We're professionals for a reason, we know what we're doing, amateurs don't, and with electricity that's a dangerous situation.

"any idiot can get a circuit to work, but it takes knowledge to get it to work safely"
Harsh but fair

You don't need rcd protection for the SWA cable .Have you check with your stepson that you have the correct size of cable for what you are supplying ?

I'm sure the OP's stepson will tell him everything he needs to do.
Not sure why he's here, if his stepson will be signing off everything.
Maybe he's on holiday....

Then fit an rcd socket , the swa cable does not require rcd protection.

Seems like you're being hard headed, is your football team losing?
Every cable requires protection!
I'd stick the rcd in a dB for many reasons. If you want I could explain them.

Nothing wrong in @Flanders post. It's to the regs. :)

Nothing wrong in @Flanders post. It's to the regs.
Most rcd socket can't be Ir tested. It's suboptimal at best. Outdoor socket no ability to Ir test = trouble brewing.

What I said about every cable requiring protection is true. He said the cable did not require rcd - very misleading

I misread or he edited his comment. I thought it said cable did not require protection. Not rcd protection

The cable is for a socket is it not?
Seems like you're being hard headed, is your football team losing?
Every cable requires protection!
I'd stick the rcd in a dB for many reasons. If you want I could explain them.
Yes there are good reasons for both and im not saying you are wrong . Some cases it may be cheaper to fit an rcd socket than fit rcbo , or there no room in the board to fit an rcd , the list go on , or it could be easier and cheaper to fit an rcbo in the board .I was just pointing out that a SWA cable does not require rcd protection , O and I don't follow the football ☺

Yes there are good reasons for both and im not saying you are wrong . Some cases it may be cheaper to fit an rcd socket than fit rcbo , or there no room in the board to fit an rcd , the list go on , or it could be easier and cheaper to fit an rcbo in the board .I was just pointing out that a SWA cable does not require rcd protection , O and I don't follow the football ☺
I've posted why rcd socket is a bad idea. Feel free to disagree.
I apologise for being harsh on you. I'll make an effort to to be nicer

I've posted why rcd socket is a bad idea. Feel free to disagree.
I apologise for being harsh on you. I'll make an effort to to be nicer
That what I'm saying i don't disagree you can put the rcd where you like ☺ Just read my post properly in the future ☺ps i did not edit it .

Reply to SWA - earthing the steel wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock