Discuss SWA - earthing the steel wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That what I'm saying i don't disagree you can put the rcd where you like ☺ Just read my post properly in the future ☺ps i did not edit it .
My post was only a little wrong, in that I misread one word. I said I would be nicer but still going to call a spade a spade. Your advice could have caused an accident your response to my calling it out was seriously suboptimal and not taking into account things a spark should.
Send me cake.. :)
You can guess from the tone of the paragraph above the probability of a cake coming your way.

"there no room in the board to fit an rcd"

Which manufacturers make mcb's that can't be switched out for rcbo?
This is a question not a jibe

Your advice could have caused an accident your response to my calling it out was seriously suboptimal and not taking into account things a spark should.
…..and that's just another reason why giving out advice to those of ignorance, on an open forum, can help cause havoc.

…..and that's just another reason why giving out advice to those of ignorance, on an open forum, can help cause havoc.
This board seems quite quick to do that. I see it from both perspectives... If people want to mess around and burn their house down that's their business, if they are going to burn down a block of flats that's a different matter.

Thanks for the decent answers. I made it perfectly clear that I am a DIY’er. I realise that there are a BC & wiring regulations but I cannot justify the £££ needed to purchase them.

I also realise that I need RCD protection and that the cable needs to be buried 500mm down with the plastic warning tape less deep.

I know what traditional ‘twin & earth’ is...what is this then?

SWA Single Phase Armoured Cable - https://www.toolstation.com/swa-single-phase-armoured-cable/p57367#full-desc

If everything is clear in the regs then why have a forum for advice?

This is a forum for electricians. Not a place to spoon feed DIY enthusiasts that are too tight to get the job done by somebody competent. How are you going to test the work?

This is a forum for electricians. Not a place to spoon feed DIY enthusiasts that are too tight to get the job done by somebody competent. How are you going to test the work?
By licking his finger...

And the home page of this forum says "free electrical advice" not "professionals constantly learning"

Personally I think it is very funny

Never mind the cake, I have a whole bag of popcorn here, and enjoying the show.

Seeing that you posted this twice I'm presuming you have two bags of popcorn.... As I'm not getting cake can I have a bag of popcorn... (As long as it's not Salted)

My post was only a little wrong, in that I misread one word. I said I would be nicer but still going to call a spade a spade. Your advice could have caused an accident your response to my calling it out was seriously suboptimal and not taking into account things a spark should.

You can guess from the tone of the paragraph above the probability of a cake coming your way.
Why would my advice caused an accident, all I have stated that an SWA cable does not require RCD protection. But if there is a reason why an SWA cable would require RCD protection then please inform me . Just asking as I do not know of any.

havoc? we need havoc. more work for us putting things right. and a bit of chaos would help.

Why would my advice caused an accident, all I have stated that an SWA cable does not require RCD protection. But if there is a reason why an SWA cable would require RCD protection then please inform me . Just asking as I do not know of any.
it might, on a TT earthing system. tin hat time.

SWA - earthing the steel wire? upload_2019-2-24_11-25-46 - EletriciansForums.net

i meant "might" if the TT was at source end of SWA, maybe not if the load end was TT. obviously the need for RCD protection would depend on the EFLI complying with ADS. this can be achieved on a TT, altough not common.

i meant "might" if the TT was at source end of SWA, maybe not if the load end was TT. obviously the need for RCD protection would depend on the EFLI complying with ADS. this can be achieved on a TT, altough not common.
Yes but you are fitting the RCD due to the TT set up, not for the SWA cable

Reply to SWA - earthing the steel wire? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock