Discuss SWA gland earthing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just having a chat with a customer who we do regular maintenance work for. They have had an extension and got another company in to do the electrics due to us not having the time. The main reason for the post is the installer has used self tapping screws on all the swa glands. Is there a specific section in the regs that states swa glands must have a bolt and flying lead to the earth bar that anyone has come across?
There are a few more issues with the install like 200A MCCB for the 4C 35mm swa they have put in as well but that's under control.
Cheers.

Attachments

• SWA gland earthing 20190723_104043 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190723_104043.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 97
Swag should be bonded, I can’t see any reason it can’t be done like this.
On many boards, the only bond between the earth bars and incoming earth terminal is via the screws that hold them to the chassis
The online thing I would like to see is a serrated washer between banjo and panel that means you are not relying on the thread for the bond.

I presume they test out ok (loop test)

There’s a regulation requirement that if a metallic conduit system is the cpc then you are required to have a fly lead from the metal back box to say the accessory front such as a socket outlet.
I would apply the same approach when using the armour of an swa as the cpc regardless if it glands into a metallic enclosure.
It’s possibly in chapter 54 earthing and bonding arrangements.

There’s a regulation requirement that if a metallic conduit system is the cpc then you are required to have a fly lead from the metal back box to say the accessory front such as a socket outlet.
I would apply the same approach when using the armour of an swa as the cpc regardless if it glands into a metallic enclosure.

But not from the metal Back box to the conduit?

543.2.7 and add five words.

I don’t follow? The conduit is attached via a bush and coupler.
Yes from the metallic back box to the socket as to earth the conduit/containment.
As in using the containment as the cpc.

I am not trying to be controversial or argue but the way I see it is,
if you can bond a back box to conduit using only the bush and coupler, (no banjo or flying lead) why cant you join swa gland to the metal enclosure of a DB using just a screw and banjo?

I will note, I think its Lazy and I would use a fly lead inside the board, but I cant see a reason why it could not be done that way.

EDIT,
westward has completely ruined my train of thought.
going to go off and sulk now!!

top marks.

I would personally ban those self drilling screws they are indicative of unskilled persons.

or indicative of the cost driven, time saving mentality of the modern installer?
I don't much like them myself but do admit to using them on some things.
for most things, a drill and tap are a far better solution.
and for bonding, there is nothing better than a brass nut and bolt.

I am not trying to be controversial or argue but the way I see it is,
if you can bond a back box to conduit using only the bush and coupler, (no banjo or flying lead) why cant you join swa gland to the metal enclosure of a DB using just a screw and banjo?

I will note, I think its Lazy and I would use a fly lead inside the board, but I cant see a reason why it could not be done that way.

EDIT,
westward has completely ruined my train of thought.
going to go off and sulk now!!

top marks.
Because the DB is also coated in a paint to protect against rust and usually your glanding onto a gland plate which rely’s upon 4 tapping screws to fix it to the DB ‘body’.
I just don’t think it’s good practice personally, that’s what the banjo/earth tags are surely for?

Is it a sound mechanical connection providing continuity?

Also is the plate the SWA is glanded into part of the body of the DB or is it a screw on plate? If a screw on plate is there a sound mechanical connection providing continuity?

Is it a sound mechanical connection providing continuity?

Also is the plate the SWA is glanded into part of the body of the DB or is it a screw on plate? If a screw on plate is there a sound mechanical connection providing continuity?
looks to me like a screwed on gland plate. think I spotted a machine screw at the back.

looks to me like a screwed on gland plate. think I spotted a machine screw at the back.
Not just me then... :D (anotherword... :rolleyes:)

What worries me about the use of self-drilling screws as that they shed swarf (as shown in the picture provided).

I would be terrified that some of this could end up in locations where it could cause a breaker to fail to operate in an emergency.

I would personally ban those self drilling screws they are indicative of unskilled persons.
What worries me about the use of self-drilling screws as that they shed swarf (as shown in the picture provided).

I would be terrified that some of this could end up in locations where it could cause a breaker to fail to operate in an emergency.
I was about to post the similar concerns but the quotes would not load up.

Reply to SWA gland earthing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock