Discuss Swapping single spots for triple spots (no earth) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently moved house and the previous owner decided to replace the original 2 ceiling lights in the living room with single spots. These produce a terrible amount of light!

I'm planning to replace each spot with a triple cluster, so I brought 2 of these:
Saxby EL-20095 Travis Triple IP44 28W Modern Spotlights In Matt white paint - https://www.washingtonlighting.co.uk/modern-3-light-plate-adjustable-bathroom-spotlight-in-white.html#.V9KAsCgrIUE

I want to avoid altering the wiring in any way if possible so I brought Class 2 - Earth Not Required lights because the current spots don't have earths connected and I want to swap the live and neutral going into their blocks to the blocks on the new lighting clusters.

This is better illustrated in some photo's I took of the existing 2 spots I plan to replace:
Living Room Spots - http://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/RIzH2

This seems pretty straight forward but I'm a cautious person so wanted to see if anyone saw any issues before I proceeded. The current spot lights are 240v too.

Ideally you would want an earth available to avoid the problem you are now having (and to comply with current regulations) , though since the downlights are connected by flex there is probably an earth at the point the flex joins the fixed wiring.
However electrically there should not be a problem with a simple change of wiring between the lights.

The fitting you link to is designed for bathroom use as it is IP44 rated, this tends to mean the bulbs are more recessed and enclosed and may not give a wide spread of light. You might want to buy them cheaper elsewhere.
I would recommend purchasing LED light bulbs to save energy (though wasting resources in disposing of the supplied bulbs!)
Because you are replacing a recessed light with a surface light you will find (hopefully) that the downlights are positioned in between the joists and so there will be limited support for your fitting without using plasterboard fixings. There will also be a large hole in the ceiling under the fitting that may be larger than the fixing points for the new fitting.

You should see how the existing lights are connected in the ceiling space I wouldn't mind betting there are unenclosed block connectors jointing that flex to the house wiring which poses a fire risk.

Those triple type spots do not give an even spread of light ,as Richard has said. They are directional and in my opinion need reflected surfaces to give any sort of pleasing light .
They are ok in kitchens and bathrooms , but I would not recommend them in a lounge.
Maybe your existing lighting would have been more pleasing and flexible with a simple dimmer switch.

Reply to Swapping single spots for triple spots (no earth) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net