Discuss Taking Your feed to switches in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trickster77

Hello eveyone. If you have taken your feed to a lighting switch. In accordance with BS7671 are you able to joint out the feed or must you use a double pole switch. Can`t seem to see anything within the regs that clarifys this issue for me.

thanks

Rich

Sorry guys and thanks for the reply. yes to both questions. Am i ok jointing the feed or the neutral at switches depending on what wiring methods i employ.

Many of the Electricians i have worked for/with have made joints in the back of switches, but you must be careful what method of joint you use in order to comply, the NIC "snags and solutions" book mentions use of Connector strip but suggests that it has sufficient insulation on it and is fixed. There is a nice picture of some "choccie block" with an extra layer of insulation bolted to the back of the enclosure (box), i have never seen this done! i would imagine that it is too time consuming. I have heard that people have glued them in order to satisfy inspectors!! Other sparks use crimps, but others say that the through crimps leave an open end. There are some push fit connectors available where 2/4 or 6 cores can be inserted and they are closed and although i have never used them i know guys that have and tell me that the NIC like them, However i can't find any info on them right now!! so i'm not much help am i ?

Looped feeds at switches are very common,and switched live joints at the rear of 2 ways as well.Since this method is employed commonly throughout,and in many cases always,i would recommend this method since when trying to locate and repair faults to lighting circuits at least you have a chance to isolate the switched live feeding any lights before unnecessarily removing a customers decorative chandalier,just a thought

I am in Jersey Channel Islands and have been wiring this way for 8 years or more much more convenient and complies with the regs also 3pin plugs on all lv downlights perfect when testing

Reply to Taking Your feed to switches in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net