Discuss Tamper Resistant Light Switch 15 amp Need Key in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently purchased a house that has a tamper resistant light switch that controls a outdoor flood light. No one that I have shown these pictures to at Lowe’s or Menards have been to help find a key for it. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 487B75A7-57D6-4608-8593-DF862A015B17.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 31
  • F7D9FB09-6D52-49AE-A602-213EB846CB6C.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 29
Hello all. I recently purchased a house that has a tamper resistant light switch that controls a outdoor flood light. No one that I have shown these pictures to at Lowe’s or Menards have been to help find a key for it. Thank you for any help.
I personally have never seen a tamper proof light switch, receptacles yes. My advice to you is just change the switch. Make sure the power is off and please be careful, if your not sure hire an electrician. It’s just a 5 minute job. Good luck

It's similar in principle to switches we use here in the U.K
Usually called Secret key switch.
There are now a few different makes each with their own key but they all work on the same principle.

Key switch.jpg

I personally have never seen a tamper proof light switch, receptacles yes. My advice to you is just change the switch. Make sure the power is off and please be careful, if your not sure hire an electrician. It’s just a 5 minute job. Good luck
What would be the purpose of having a light switch like that in the first place just for a flood light

Maybe to stop it being accidentally switched off if it's meant to be on overnight.
In the U.K they're usualy used for emergency light testing.

Looks like there's been a few in the U.S, these may not be all of them,

Maybe to stop it being accidentally switched off if it's meant to be on overnight.
In the U.K they're usualy used for emergency light testing.

Looks like there's been a few in the U.S, these may not be all of them,

Again it seems awful elaborate for a flood light. I would change the light to a photo cell light so it can be used for motion or dawn to dusk and use the switch to use as a bypass switch to turn it on all the time

Again it seems awful elaborate for a flood light. I would change the light to a photo cell light so it can be used for motion or dawn to dusk and use the switch to use as a bypass switch to turn it on all the time
Yes this is my plan. But, I need the key first. Thanks.
[automerge]1591814106[/automerge]
What would be the purpose of having a light switch like that in the first place just for a flood light
It’s a 2 unit duplex. So my assumption is so tenant can’t turn it off.
[automerge]1591814201[/automerge]
I was hoping to keep the switch. But, yes I might have to change it out.
[automerge]1591814391[/automerge]
It's similar in principle to switches we use here in the U.K
Usually called Secret key switch.
There are now a few different makes each with their own key but they all work on the same principle.

View attachment 58757
Perhaps it is going to be easier to just buy a new one with a key, than to find a key for the one I have?

Last edited:
Yes this is my plan. But, I need the key first. Thanks.
[automerge]1591814106[/automerge]

It’s a 2 unit duplex. So my assumption is so tenant can’t turn it off.
[automerge]1591814201[/automerge]

I was hoping to keep the switch. But, yes I might have to change it out.
[automerge]1591814391[/automerge]

Perhaps it is going to be easier to just buy a new one with a key, than to find a key for the one I have?
Well if it is a duplex that would make since so no one else can mess with your light. Good luck and hope you find a key. I thought the switch was inside your house.

What brand of switch? There should be marking on the yoke of switch showing who the maker is, the problem is if the switch is from a defunct manufacturer, or otherwise discontinued. But eBay may be a source for the missing key.

What brand of switch? There should be marking on the yoke of switch showing who the maker is, the problem is if the switch is from a defunct manufacturer, or otherwise discontinued. But eBay may be a source for the missing key.
Not clear did you go buy the parts house and yes they have got to be out there for you type what you need to do and see what pops up. If not try the on in the UK

I did not attempt to zoom in to the photo until now, the switch is a AH&H, Arrow Hart & Hegemon (sp?), Arrow Hart is still around formerly part of Cooper, but now a Eaton product, it may still be available from them, but can buy a Hubbell from HD Supply.

I did not attempt to zoom in to the photo until now, the switch is a AH&H, Arrow Hart & Hegemon (sp?), Arrow Hart is still around formerly part of Cooper, but now a Eaton product, it may still be available from them, but can buy a Hubbell from HD Supply.

Good luck my friend and I hope you get what you are looking for

Reply to Tamper Resistant Light Switch 15 amp Need Key in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net