Currently reading:
Tell us about your faults!

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kung

Hi ALL
Just thought id put this one up for all those faults we find.
heres one to kick it off !
Domestic RCD tripped and wouldnt reset cause was a blown low energy light bulb.:D
There you go now for yours !

Re: Tell us about your faults !

I went to s ahouse today, rewired to ago to 16th
turned off the mcb marked downstairs showers
tested it still live?
turned off the MCb marked cooker and the shower was safe
god help a home owner if they failed to test it
then I checked the lights up and down reversed
and the 2 rings reversed?
why do some people bother to get out of bed in the morning?

Something from the field.

1. The pub
DSC_0107-2.jpgDSC_0106-2.jpg

2. Take away restaurant
DSC_0110-2.jpgDSC_0114-2.jpgDSC_0113-2.jpgDSC_0112-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

0008.JPG0003.jpg i was asked to remove and relocate all this in one night, but to maintain lighting LMAO left photo is 1 end the right is the other end, distance between ends erm about 15M, then relocate circuits in new not yet fitted containment, they had no circuit schedule so all needed to be tested, and circuits to be traced as to what was what, well well i said, then told them have a nice night.
the box had also been started by who? as it was cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Main bonding conductor after periodic inspection - continuity test. Left for several months not connected.
0017-2.jpg

All about installation of o/s light
0022.jpg

and something about IP codes for this light:
0023.jpg

Both cases are effects of works "carried out" by "professional" electricians hired by big company.

View attachment 3705

total and utter muppetry
I only went to the house to check an outside light and examined the whole system
I will post anotehr pic of the other end of this cable
ps the garage roof was leaking so I have pinned a notice on the building do not use any electrical appliance here, and severed the supply in the house
I am going back next month to demolish the garage as we found rats nesting and its beyond repair, plus she hates it and it blocks the view
so 5 weeks work for an outsid light not bad!!

I'm 'one of those' - "been in the trade 40+ years" and I can't remember ever seeing a Wylex unit with cables entering the front cover by that method before.
I wish we had had the technology (photographs on your mob. phone) like we have today, back through my career in the trade.
I explained to people that "I am never surprised anymore by what I uncover" because I think I have witnessed most things in my time.

Just recently doing a consumer unit upgrade I found out (the hard way) that the diy builder (owner of said property) had inadvertently joined two existing lighting circuits together (in a ring main).
Each circuit feed was connected to a separate 5A. fuse way. When you pulled one fuse............

Need I say more?

God save us!

Hey all, had an annoying fault today which has occurred apparently out of the blue...some display cabinet / shelf efforts with a mix of fluorescent back lighting behind white perspex sheets and some overhead 12V halogen G6.35's capsule lamps have gone out randomly upon stripping the shelves and cabinets etc.. I found a few j.b.'s and eventually a couple of pvc's one t & e which fed in from opposite side of shop cabinets not yet stripped but weird readings on my meter of @ joint box .. Live to Earth = 237 V, Neutral to Earth 238V also and Live to Neutral 0V with switch in on position... then I go tracing back to mains in on a luminaire male / female plug socket affair and readings there were ... Live to earth 240V, Live to Neutral 17V and Neutral to Earth of 67V ! I am thinking I have an issue along a neutral somewhere ? anybody else had anything along these lines of strange voltages ??

Sounds very much like a disconnected/floating neutral. But this post would be better placed, and answered, in its own thread. This thread is intended for those 'I can't believe what I have just found that some numpty of an installer has done and that I just had to fix' type of faults.

I have been rewiring a house locally origionally local authority owned but then bought by the tenants, tarted up over a few years and sold on at a profit
all the wiring looked ok, I was asked to fit a decent light in the attic, so I tested the Ze nada nowt nothing
the CU was a split load to the 16th and the incoming earth was an old braided cable, looks like the tenant rewired it himself, in the roof I found the joists were steel in pairs bolted with wooden blocks between, on top of these were laid cables and over the top of them a floor!!! you can imagine the rest
the funny thing is the incoming supply had been replaced with a new radial cable and was PME with a nice low resistance, however I told the client its a total rewire of the place will burn down, frankly I wish it had
I finally found the water stop cock hidden behind some units and a braided wire wrapped loosely around it
that was the earth??
I will post a fw pics if it lets me
whatever next

002.jpg

Last edited:

I messed up a 3 way switch because ....i messed up (loud music is not for electricians , especially if you don't like it)

I forgot to switch the main power on

I have a long list ...

The bonding to the water in the house kept "coming away" from the clamp???
Very strange we thought! Until we questioned the owner who said....

"It affects the television reception with it connected!"

WRONG PICTURE... SORRY.... LET ME FIND THE RIGHT ONE

We connected it another couple of time, documented it on the EIC and job sheet... I'll put money on it's been removed again.. so he can watch channel 5 or whatever!!!

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back