Discuss Terrible installation!!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Trouble

Hello all, if any one has any information or can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

I am a non working electrician living in London and a few months ago I got a new neighbour who has decided to make as many rooms to let as possible out of the house next door. Now I wouldn’t mind if this was done professionally and all above board but I am pretty sure he has not got planning permission!
Last week he had an electrician in, and I have never seen anything like it! I can gain access to the DB from the front of the house and it is the worst installation I have ever seen! Down the side of the house he has ran a twin and earth cable (no idea what it is feeding) and they have actually just used electrical tape to secure it to a drain pipe! And it seems they ran out of tape as further towards the back of the house it has just been looped around the pipe to keep it in place!

This is appalling workmanship and from what I have seen I dread to think what the sparks has done on the inside of the house!

Could any one let me know of a procedure in order to report this terrible work?

if your freinds with your neighbour have a quiet word about it and let him know he is being ripped it may help.

If from the sounds of it you are in a semi detached report the company as any problems may affect you e.g fire

Last edited:
I have spoken to him, and he doesn’t seem to care! Even says he has the certificate for it! I very much doubt it is a real one…

but who do I report it to? And will they actually send some one out to inspect it?

London is covered by Multiple Occupancy Licenses granted by the local council have a word with them.The'll check it out if it licensed if not they can stop them from renting it out and bring the building up to regs

If there are walls coming out, then he should have planning permission or at least building regs.

I would contact your local council straight away, even without giving your name etc and report it.

It sounds very dangerous to me, regardless of the electrical installation.

This property needs to be licenced by the local council, as a HMO (House of multiple occupancey). It will be required to meet strict regs such as: fire alarm, emergency lighting, fire extiguishers, emergency exit signs, fire blankets, fire doors, the list goes on........

Reply to Terrible installation!!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net