Discuss Testing and Inspection Over Current Protection in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi. Silly Question, as a tester / inspector of an installation. How do i confirm that overload protection is satisfied for an existing circuit, or is it just assumed as long as Coordination (p89 18th Regs) is satisfied and the protective devices is of a EN BS device? Practically, how do i confirm this though? Where do i find 'I2' details for OCPDs?

Thanks

John

overload protection is provided by the MCB as long as Ib<In<Iz.

Yes, fuses are following the same basic idea as MCB.

For rewirable fuses (BS3036) there is a larger margin between the fuse rating and the capacity of the wiring (see reg 433.1.202) but for enclosed fuses like BS88, etc, you treat them as for MCB ratings.

The bigger issue with rewirable fuses is if some muppet has used the wrong wire in the past, sometimes to "stop it blowing" without realising what danger it presents. Table 533.1 (p159 of 18th regs) has the nominal diameters of wire but you would need calipers or similar to check that in practice.

For 3036 fuses you apply the correction factor 0.725.
for example a cable Protected by a 15 amp 3036 fuse would need to carry 20 amps , if overload protection was required.
@pc1966 explains it nicely.

Last edited:

Reply to Testing and Inspection Over Current Protection in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I am an electrician working for a OEM machinery manufacturer based in Germany, we are the local hub that is now taking over the...
Replies
Views
Morning all, We are looking at qualification requirements for inspection and testing to BS EN 60204, all of our work is past the main isolator of...
Replies
Views
all currently working towards my 2391 c&g I&T . I know how to calculate v.d. but the mock test I found online seems a bit out of date or I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm moving a socket installed on a lighting circuit (installed by previous owner who was a professional electrician so I assume he knew what he...
Replies
Views
Background Two weeks ago, lightning struck a tree in our yard. Many circuits tripped and several electronic devices failed. There was a strong...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock