Discuss The new job. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SirKit Breaker

Well i can now tie a tie, thanks for the diagrams Paul. I have clean finger nails. The onslaught begins 2 weeks on Monday, The trainees have got a long induction programme to go through.

Anyway spent 2 days sorting out the workshop tools, equipment, work stations, stock etc etc, and there is still a full day needed to finish it.
What a shambles, the workshop was immaculate, this is because all the crap had been chucked into the cupboards. The mechanical instructor said the last electrical bloke couldnt give a ----. Thats the understatement of the year. I couldnt believe the amount of test gear just thrown into the cupboards, 13 multimeters, 4 current clamps, Loop testers, RCD Testers, and 2 Megger MFT's only 2 years old, cracked cases, buttons missing, no leads. Nothing in cases yet all the cases were present. Anyway all the tools are ordered to make up 2 basic handtool sets, and the test gear is all away for test, repair, calibration and GS38 standard leads. Its criminal how someone who is supposed to have been at the level required to teach to have such low standards and allow things to get into this state. I realise that this kit is not mine, but it will get treat as though it was. My life and the students life could depend on it. same with the tools, all the broken drivers, cutters etc have been ditched, and nice new VDE stuff has been ordered. I may be a bit naive (widdler will probably be able to comment) but my thinking is that if i give them the correct tools for the job which work as they should, then it will make their work easier and hopefully they should look after them properly. i will be having stern words with them before they start about tools and equipment anyway.

Cheers...........Howard

Sounds like you are planning on running the show YOUR way, can only be a good thing. You'll need to keep a close eye on those testers mate, especially the leads as the guys will never put them back as they find them. So teach them to respect the kit, especially if they are mft's. I have a fluke, some kewtech bricks and 10 or so metrels a couple of which are crappy. So if people disrespect the kit, the crappy tester gets their name put on it.
When I started working in my current place the first thing I did was sort the handtools and stock. The previous tutors clearly had their own idea which made no sense to me. Uninsulated tools and STANLEY KNIVES, a big no no.

I would suggest you show a keen interest in the tools being used properly and returning as they were found. Be prepared for others to really pi$$ you off with the attitude they have to the equipment offered to them then nothing should really surprise you.

Glad you've got people listening to you Howard, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

So are you going to begin each course by asking the "room full of students" how is the appropriate way to use a screwdriver tester??

LOL

Screw it all down m8.....................Ive still got a soldering iron i acquired from college in 1976 and its still going strong. Wish one a those avo 8s had fit in my bag lol

Sounds like you are planning on running the show YOUR way, can only be a good thing. You'll need to keep a close eye on those testers mate, especially the leads as the guys will never put them back as they find them. So teach them to respect the kit, especially if they are mft's. I have a fluke, some kewtech bricks and 10 or so metrels a couple of which are crappy. So if people disrespect the kit, the crappy tester gets their name put on it.
When I started working in my current place the first thing I did was sort the handtools and stock. The previous tutors clearly had their own idea which made no sense to me. Uninsulated tools and STANLEY KNIVES, a big no no.

I would suggest you show a keen interest in the tools being used properly and returning as they were found. Be prepared for others to really pi$$ you off with the attitude they have to the equipment offered to them then nothing should really surprise you.

Glad you've got people listening to you Howard, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Good luck to you Howard. Widdler I'm local to you, where do u teach?

HHoward let's see what its like after a couple of months and how stressed you are, lol. Can't believe you used that step by step diagram for your tie, next week I'll send you how to do a Windsor knot, he he. Ok edit:- here's a Windsor knot for you.
The new job. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
After a week teaching he'll want a diagram for a noose
HHoward let's see what its like after a couple of months and how stressed you are, lol. Can't believe you used that step by step diagram for your tie, next week I'll send you how to do a Windsor knot, he he. Ok edit:- here's a Windsor knot for you.
The new job. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Best of luck with it. You'll need a dose of patience on occasion, that's for sure. BUT we all know you'll do a good job teaching and you'll be able to answer any questions you get (unlike some teachers!).

Give up Howard, your a Yorkshireman. Just use a 2ft off cut of swa, saves spending money on a cattle prod.

best of luck Howard. btw don`t you dare turn into a BOB :D no chance of that mate your a decent type. the trainees will be lucky to have you teaching them all the best Mr clean finger nails :D

Did someone just mention BOB? I'm off to bed soon, I don't want nightmares of that man or the examiner. Just like foot print plyers, each one is a tool.

Yeh, Bob crisps. I'm now thinking of all those old "when I was a lad" tails he use to tell us instead of teaching. No wonder that place lost a lot of funding due to poor results.

Reply to The new job. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock