Discuss The older regs for Earth rods in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What were the regs for a 1990's built house ? See this pic of the E rod it's on a detached garage,TNCS so they split the install as they did then and TT'd the outbuilding ( Even tho no services) RCD in garage none in house, my question is how do you inspect the E rod connection ? Were the regs then more lax thenThe older regs for Earth rods E ROD - EletriciansForums.net or is it a poor install ?
J

Hammer and chisel time if the customer agrees.

I'd go with poor install.

526-04-01 in the 16th Ed is worded almost indentically to the current 526.3 17th Ed "every connection & joint shall be accessible for inspection & testing"

It's a relatives house TBH the board needs changing but he is a tight ---, I gave him loads of advice on his installation for free, then he went behind my back and got some numb nut in to put sockets in with no RCD protection, so I cut him loose, I just wondered what the regs said in the 90's mate thanks for looking.
J

If you cut the wire and tucked it back i reckon you could diamond out quite a nice clean hole for a conduit box type box cover with a small grove for a bit of flexi copex then just fill in over the copex and you have a reasonably presentable earth pit , all be it not ideal but a damn site better looking than a proper one now or what is there already .
Just mind you don't catch the supply cable !

If it tests OK I would leave it and make a note on any paperwork.

Wonder how well it tests covered in concrete, they tend to dry out.

What were the regs for a 1990's built house ? See this pic of the E rod it's on a detached garage,TNCS so they split the install as they did then and TT'd the outbuilding ( Even tho no services) RCD in garage none in house, my question is how do you inspect the E rod connection ? Were the regs then more lax thenView attachment 13470 or is it a poor install ?
J

Ditch the rod and connect the TNCS earth.........Thats if you are going to get involved of course.

Reply to The older regs for Earth rods in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock