Discuss Thinking to be an electrical mate, how do I go about it with no commercial experience? Pros and Cons in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have completed Level 2, currently doing the 18th edition course, I wanted to know, what is it like to get myself into the commercial scene, I read a few forums where electricians say agents mess mates around. How would I get paid as a mate? Do I register myself with the CIS scheme? Do I register myself as a sole trader?

I have never been employed to work on site, how does it all work, would I get an interview or do they just give me a date to come in and talk to me and I get sent to site? Sorry guys so many questions I just want to know what to expect. I have some domestic experience, and have helped a qualified electrician with small rewires, just never been on site, so I have no experience.

Thank you

You'll be able to get an Electrical Labourer ECS card no problem, you just need to do the H&S multiple choice test first then upload your level 2 and 18th edition certificates to the ECS website. You can find more information at:

The agencies aren't too bad in my experience. They skim a bit off your rate (that's how they get paid) so it's in their interest to find work for you. I'm in a similar position to yourself. Got my level 2 and 18th edition and passed my AM2 a couple of months ago, looking for opportunities to get more experience so I can start gathering evidence for my NVQ

You'll be able to get an Electrical Labourer ECS card no problem, you just need to do the H&S multiple choice test first then upload your level 2 and 18th edition certificates to the ECS website. You can find more information at:

The agencies aren't too bad in my experience. They skim a bit off your rate (that's how they get paid) so it's in their interest to find work for you. I'm in a similar position to yourself. Got my level 2 and 18th edition and passed my AM2 a couple of months ago, looking for opportunities to get more experience so I can start gathering evidence for my NVQ
Thank You, I got the ECS card level 2, currently doing 18th Edition, Just need a full time job as a mate to get some more more experience, no luck yet. How would I go about getting paid with these guys? do I need to register with the CIS?

Thank You, I got the ECS card level 2, currently doing 18th Edition, Just need a full time job as a mate to get some more more experience, no luck yet. How would I go about getting paid with these guys? do I need to register with the CIS?
Yes register for CIS; this gives you a UTR number what agencies will ask you for to pay you. If you dont have a UTR number the agency could offer to pay you PAYE; but this can be a ball ache in general if you only working for short periods. Go and register as a self employed sub contractor with HMRC and get a UTR number (sometimes referred to a CIS)

Yes register for CIS; this gives you a UTR number what agencies will ask you for to pay you. If you dont have a UTR number the agency could offer to pay you PAYE; but this can be a ball ache in general if you only working for short periods. Go and register as a self employed sub contractor with HMRC and get a UTR number (sometimes referred to a CIS)
Thanks Eric

I understand better now, thanks, appreciated. I am applying at the moment but no luck, based in London, where are you based ?

I am just applying through totaljobs etc, could you recommend any other way or am I doing the right thing jus applying through Totaljobs, cv library etc, thanks.

Entering the commercial scene as an electrician's mate can be an exciting opportunity to gain valuable experience and further your career. Let me address your questions and provide some guidance:

1. Getting Paid as a Mate: Typically, as an electrician's mate, you would be employed by an electrical contractor or a company. Your payment structure would depend on the arrangement you have with the contractor. Most commonly, electrician's mates are paid an hourly wage or a daily rate.

2. Registering with the CIS Scheme: The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) in the UK is relevant for self-employed individuals and subcontractors working in the construction industry. If you plan to work as a sole trader and be responsible for your own taxes and National Insurance contributions, you may need to register under the CIS scheme. However, as an electrician's mate employed by a company, you typically wouldn't need to register for CIS.

3. Sole Trader Registration: If you plan to work as a self-employed electrician's mate, you may consider registering as a sole trader. This would make you responsible for managing your own taxes, invoicing, and other administrative tasks. However, if you are employed by a contractor or company, you wouldn't need to register as a sole trader.

4. Finding Work: To secure work as an electrician's mate, you can take the following steps:

a. Building a Network: Reach out to electricians, contractors, and companies in your area. Attend trade shows, industry events, or join professional organizations to meet potential employers.

b. Applying for Jobs: Look for job postings on various platforms such as job boards, electrical contractor websites, and industry-specific job sites. You can also contact electrical contractors directly and inquire about any available opportunities.

c. Interviews: If a contractor or company is interested in your profile, they may invite you for an interview. During the interview, they will assess your skills, experience, and suitability for the role.

d. Onboarding and Site Work: If you are selected, the contractor will provide you with the necessary instructions and information about your first assignment. They will specify the date and location for you to start work on a particular site.

It's important to note that experiences can vary depending on individual circumstances, locations, and companies. It's always a good idea to do thorough research on the specific regulations and practices in your region and consult with professionals or organizations that can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

Lastly, gaining experience in the commercial sector can be a valuable step in your career progression, allowing you to expand your skill set and work on larger and more complex projects. Good luck with your endeavors!
---- Generated by GPT3.5

No point adding the last line - it's very obvious that it was AI generated!!

I don't know if this is useful, just trying to help.🫡
Is using GPT-generated information banned here? I apologized if I broke the rules.

No rules broken, it's just that you end with long generic posts and lines such as 'look for job postings', which let's face it is pretty obvious.

Much better to use your own knowledge and experience to create a post on a forum. That's the idea of them really, otherwise we would all just google stuff.

This is my opinion of course - other people may think differently.

Reply to Thinking to be an electrical mate, how do I go about it with no commercial experience? Pros and Cons in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net