Discuss TN-S with a BS951 clamp and black tar covering supply cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all..

I have just completed an EICR and came across the following :

TN-S with a BS951 clamp and black tar covering supply cable? black tar on supply cable - EletriciansForums.netTN-S with a BS951 clamp and black tar covering supply cable? BS951 clamp on TN-S - EletriciansForums.net

1. Is the black tarry substance Pitch?
The homeowner is unsure how long it has been there, however it is not completely solid and is slightly sticky to touch indicating that it is still getting too hot at times and leaking? I will be contacting DNO but wanted to get some more information from those who are experienced with this?

Max demand is approx 50A so I would be more concerned with loose connections in the DNO's equipment.

2. TN-S is supplied by a BS951 clamp which I understand was done for a period. My concern is that the 6mm bare cable from the clamp to the MET is just connected to the sleeve of the clamp that is moveable. It is a firm connection to that part of the clamp via the bolt, but just looks awful. I'll tell the DNO about this as well but again wanted some opinions please?

Ze = 0.17Ω
Cut out fuse 100A (not actually seen - but stated on cut out)

Thanks.

Wow.. Southern Electric move fast!

Just got off the phone to them and they are going straight around..

Wow.. Southern Electric move fast!

Just got off the phone to them and they are going straight around..

They will always attend site if it's leaking pitch. whilst southern electric are there get them to install the correct earth clamp for the incoming cable for the main earth connection.

Last edited:
Just contacted Southern electric for an update.. actually on the phone at the mo!

They say nothing wrong?

Is leaking Pitch ok?

Is that connection to the clamp ok?

No.
It would normally suggest overheating within the Cutout joint
Are there any Children in the household, or any that visit..

Well they have said because it is not dripping or hot that it is not an emergency which I guess makes sense. My concern is that they are planning on leaving it like that without doing anything else. Unfortunately my inexperience lets me down here and I dont know if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill!

I have been given another number to ring on monday and they state they may then send someone out to do some work if needed, but they have basically said all is fine and will only make another visit if I ring and ask.

Also, I cant believe that clamp connection is ok. I can understand that BS951 clamps were used for a while, but that is not my worry. It is the way it is connected to the clamp. Again.. not an emergency as Ze=0.14, but it's hardly a very stable looking connection to the flapping sleeve of the clamp is it??

As for children.... Yes.... 2, one aged 6 and another aged 10!

Last edited:
That doesn't look like a bs951 clamp, it looks more like one of the older mechanical clamps for lead cable. Have a proper look at the construction of it to be sure. The construction of the lead clamps is a bit different to a 951 clamp with a curved plate to fit snug against the lead and not crush it. Clamps like that are not uncommon in the SSE area.
Also that is not a 6mm bare conductor, it's an imperial, probably 7/029, conductor.

That doesn't look like a bs951 clamp, it looks more like one of the older mechanical clamps for lead cable. Have a proper look at the construction of it to be sure. The construction of the lead clamps is a bit different to a 951 clamp with a curved plate to fit snug against the lead and not crush it. Clamps like that are not uncommon in the SSE area.
Also that is not a 6mm bare conductor, it's an imperial, probably 7/029, conductor.

Thanks Dave,

It does look slightly different to a 951. It is more they way it is connected. Can you see from the picture what I am getting at? The fact that it is connected to the flapping sleeve rather than firmly against the clamp as you would see with a 951?

TN-S with a BS951 clamp and black tar covering supply cable? BS951%20clamp%20on%20TN-S - EletriciansForums.net

If there's no overheating detectable it will probably last years or even decades as it is so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I'd still call them or get the customer to call them on Monday and insist they make the repairs and upgrade the earth connection.

Why 7/029? It looks bigger than that I think. That equates to 2.98mm and it looks bigger, possibly 7/036?

Adiabatic shows that CPC needs to be 3.63mm or above!

I have a fancy pair of calipers that usually show me the CSA if in doubt, but with 7 old tangled strands it's difficult!

If there's no overheating detectable it will probably last years or even decades as it is so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I'd still call them or get the customer to call them on Monday and insist they make the repairs and upgrade the earth connection.

Thanks for that Marvo.

I will call them on monday and push it a little I think. I think it would be wrong to just think 'oh well, I've called the DNO it's their responsibilty now'.

Why 7/029? It looks bigger than that I think. That equates to 2.98mm and it looks bigger, possibly 7/036?

I have a fancy pair of calipers that usually show me the CSA if in doubt, but with 7 old tangled strands it's difficult!
But what is the copper equivalent csa of a 10mm x 0.5mm strip of flexible steel?

You might be right, I've got the old regulations at home so I can look up what the required size was at the time, it may be 7/044.

Thanks Dave,

It does look slightly different to a 951. It is more they way it is connected. Can you see from the picture what I am getting at? The fact that it is connected to the flapping sleeve rather than firmly against the clamp as you would see with a 951?

I am familiar with that type of clamp yes, it's quite common in the SSE area. There is another one which is just that length of that band wrapped round the lead sheath with a bolt and two wedge shaped nuts to hold it tight, then a nut and bolt with a castle washer through the band in exactly the same way.
Is there a castle washer on that termination?

But what is the copper equivalent csa of a 10mm x 0.5mm strip of flexible steel?

Oh Richard!!!!

Well if copper is rated at 100% (because Copper is the standard by which electrical materials are rated), and we take steel as 15 (I'm being optomistic as it 3-15%) then steel is only 3/20 as conductive as copper.

If the clamp is 10mm x 0.5 it has a csa of 5mm.

5mm x (3/20) = 0.7mm (equivalent of copper)..

In otherwords 'way too small'!!

Of course thats all far too simplistic and ignoring many other factors that I dont understand.. A clamp MUST be a better conductor than 3/20 of copper otherwise we wouldn't use them as a bonding clamp!

Oh Richard!!!!

Well if copper is rated at 100% (because Copper is the standard by which electrical materials are rated), and we take steel as 15 (I'm being optomistic as it 3-15%) then steel is only 3/20 as conductive as copper.

If the clamp is 10mm x 0.5 it has a csa of 5mm.

5mm x (3/20) = 0.7mm (equivalent of copper)..

In otherwords 'way too small'!!

Of course thats all far too simplistic and ignoring many other factors that I dont understand.. A clamp MUST be a better conductor than 3/20 of copper otherwise we wouldn't use them as a bonding clamp!

... well, a clamp is a ring ... therefore ... still way too small!

Last edited:
I am familiar with that type of clamp yes, it's quite common in the SSE area. There is another one which is just that length of that band wrapped round the lead sheath with a bolt and two wedge shaped nuts to hold it tight, then a nut and bolt with a castle washer through the band in exactly the same way.
Is there a castle washer on that termination?

I'm sorry Dave, I dont know.

Reply to TN-S with a BS951 clamp and black tar covering supply cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock