Discuss Tools used when rewiring domestic property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Morning. Can anyone tell me what tools would be used when cutting channels into plaster when rewiring an occupied home?

House has solid walls, not plaster board and electricians used jackhammers to channel out, without extraction. I know rewiring is messy but the house was like a building site.

Is this usual practice? I have been told that electricions have cutting tools and use extraction and have had a previous house rewired (solid walls) and can’t remember this level of mess.

thank you.

Ideally a wall chaser with extraction to create the channels then a breaker to knock out the plaster/brickwork. The latter can be done with hammer and bolster - it creates less dust but is slower.
Using a wall chaser instead of a breaker to create channels is far quicker, with cleaner cuts and less damage to the walls. Also means the filling afterwards should be easier with the same width and depth channels.

Good Morning. Can anyone tell me what tools would be used when cutting channels into plaster when rewiring an occupied home?

House has solid walls, not plaster board and electricians used jackhammers to channel out, without extraction. I know rewiring is messy but the house was like a building site.

Is this usual practice? I have been told that electricions have cutting tools and use extraction and have had a previous house rewired (solid walls) and can’t remember this level of mess.

thank you.
Most Domestic Sparkies have wall chasers with dust extraction equipment along with plenty of dust sheets. what you need BALDRICK is one of your cunning plans, sorry couldn't resist.

I don't have a photo of the channels with me, but I do have a short video of what I walked into and that sort of sets the scene for the whole rewire. The contractors sent 7 men into a 2 bed house and it was chaos.

If it common to use a jackhammer should some sort of extraction be used with it?

Attachments

• video-1582013166.mp4
    857.6 KB
I don't have a photo of the channels with me, but I do have a short video of what I walked into and that sort of sets the scene for the whole rewire. The contractors sent 7 men into a 2 bed house and it was chaos.

If it common to use a jackhammer should some sort of extraction be used with it?
There is no specific rule or regulation to say a dust extraction unit must be used. Yes it is a mess, it can however be cleaned. I do wonder what people expect when getting their house rewired. I certainly would not make that sort of mess but I have seen it many many times before.

Thank you for your replies.

Not sure whether it was the same tool but the channels are no where near as neat as that.
Not in Glasgow.
Matthew, I was thinking is there any need to make that level of mess and dump tools on the carpet. I know rewiring is a disruptive and messy job and yes mess can be cleaned but its a hell of a job when only made more difficult by messy workers.

I think I was wondering whether this was usual practice or whether there is a more efficient way to do it. It seems that they could have used extraction, or made neater channels but feels as though they sent 7 people in to do it as fast as they could without any regard for the persons property.

Thank you for your replies.

Not sure whether it was the same tool but the channels are no where near as neat as that.
Not in Glasgow.
Matthew, I was thinking is there any need to make that level of mess and dump tools on the carpet. I know rewiring is a disruptive and messy job and yes mess can be cleaned but its a hell of a job when only made more difficult by messy workers.

I think I was wondering whether this was usual practice or whether there is a more efficient way to do it. It seems that they could have used extraction, or made neater channels but feels as though they sent 7 people in to do it as fast as they could without any regard for the persons property.
every jobid different. e.g. empty house, just bought. customer is going to replace all the carpets anyway, so who cares if they get trashed? differemnt with occupied house. can't make a mess so that's reflected in the cost.
[automerge]1582016643[/automerge]
just wondering how you retire a house. do you put it out to grass, like a horse?

Last edited:
Twin disc cutter with Henry attached...
minimal dust minimal mess
that's what i use, unless it's just a small chase, like from floor up to a socket, then it's a multitool (cheap blades) or angle grinder and scutch chisel.

every jobid different. e.g. empty house, just bought. customer is going to replace all the carpets anyway, so who cares if they get trashed? differemnt with occupied house. can't make a mess so that's reflected in the cost.
[automerge]1582016643[/automerge]
just wondering how you retire a house. do you put it out to grass, like a horse?
Ha yes and I didnt know how to edit it. And the house is occupied.

Hi - sorry to hear your house was a mess. I can’t view the video but I have seen wall chasing without extraction and usually dust is so thick that visibility is barely across the room. Yes they should’ve used a vacuum hooked up to the chaser. Maybe they just used angle grinders? Anyway, with a relatively cheap chaser and vacuum it is possible to do the job without tooo much mess and it’s always possible to keep the mess contained and clean up afterwards.

I did chase out a bathroom with a double disc electric chaser, with the windows open and a large industrial fan on in the room (extractor had broken down) after about an hour the fire brigade turned up saying that someone had reported the house was on fire, they did not laugh, local Pompier did not have a sense of humour.

I can view the video. I would call a halt to the proceedings. Read through your quotation. There's an unfortunate side affect of chasing walls, but that looks like Armageddon.

Ask 'em for their CDM Reg risk assessment, and whether they own a dust pan & brush!

Reply to Tools used when rewiring domestic property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net