Discuss Tools used when rewiring domestic property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

every jobid different. e.g. empty house, just bought. customer is going to replace all the carpets anyway, so who cares if they get trashed? differemnt with occupied house. can't make a mess so that's reflected in the cost.
[automerge]1582016643[/automerge]
just wondering how you retire a house. do you put it out to grass, like a horse?
lYoum getting as bad as Buzz Tel wiv yer spelin

SJD these are some of the (allegedly) finished chases!

Midwest what is a CDM risk management?

The contracts manager is coming tomorrow to look at the mess. It is my daughters rented property so reading your replies I do think the Landlord has gone for the cheapest option and she was not given a choice.

Attachments

• 87306847_232006817835601_6959946756016570368_n.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 86487166_808890209577075_942679436673679360_n.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 86800366_127075238674742_4021124712397537280_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 76
SJD these are some of the (allegedly) finished chases!

The contracts manager is coming tomorrow to look at the mess. It is my daughters rented property so reading your replies I do think the Landlord has gone for the cheapest option and she was not given a choice.

Its filled in, what else do you want electricians to do ? Wallpaper and paint it aswell

Its filled in, what else do you want electricians to do ? Wallpaper and paint it aswell
No but I expect it to be finished to a standard where we can paint it. The plasterer hasn't even polished this off. The video posted earlier showed much neater channels. Even in these replies there are different standards. These fall below mine.

All that dust and detritus has to be managed correctly, google CDM. What did the quotation say about dealing with the chasing & debris?

I've done some work in a properties in single rooms, that created lots of dust etc, but it was managed appropiatetly. Seems here the whole house has been treated like a building site?
[automerge]1582056988[/automerge]

No but treat your clients with some respect. They are not there for your benefit, they are paying for your custom.

No but I expect it to be finished to a standard where we can paint it. The plasterer hasn't even polished this off. The video posted earlier showed much neater channels. Even in these replies there are different standards. These fall below mine.
Your expectations may not match the quoted work though, especially if you have not ordered the work.
If the finish is not suitable to decorate you will have to take that up with the landlord not the electrician. It is quite normal for a rewire quote to not include for fine finished chases.

All that dust and detritus has to be managed correctly, google CDM. What did the quotation say about dealing with the chasing & debris?

I've done some work in a properties in single rooms, that created lots of dust etc, but it was managed appropiatetly. Seems here the whole house has been treated like a building site?

Thanks I will ask to look at the quote and plan tomorrow. I suspect their plan was get in and get out quick, not all of the workers were even wearing masks!

To get a finer finish you could go over with easy fill and sand down appropriately ! But tbh chasing a finished wall is always going to leave signs that its been chased unless its redecorated to a high standard. I dont even know why ive jumped on this bandwagon of a thread but anyways. I agree with the dust issue, the only way round that is using a wall chaser with attached vacuum, keeping area well ventilated, and covering up everything in sight with sheets (chasing can be v.dusty your lucky they used breakers and not grinders). In fact I turned down a job last week cause the chasing would create too much dust with the meagre equipment I have.

The problem with brick dust in an occupied rewire is the silica released into the air. The homeowner is being put at unnecessary risk by the contractor not using suitable extraction systems.

I can't even cut concrete outside without water suppression so I don't know why anyone would find it acceptable to do it in someone's house especially when occupied.

Moved a socket for a client last week well after he’d started decorating. Minimal dust but it was just one back box. He texted me last night wanting another one done! I texted back saying that he was supposed to do the messy stuff first! His response was ... ‘tell me about it!’ Very understanding with expectations managed. :p

Ha yes and I didnt know how to edit it. And the house is occupied.
I don't think most small one man bands have wall chasers and dust extraction, I don't. I would make a lot of mess when re-wiring a house but I would have a tidy up each night with regards all the plaster/brickwork on the floor. I would cover all carpets with a dust sheet, but there would still be some dust that penetrates. Even if the house was not lived in during the rewire I would still clear up (to a degree) all the mess so that the next day I don't return to a bomb site as this is horrible to work in. If it was lived during the rewire (nightmare) I would have had a chat with the homeowner before hand about the degree of cleanliness that is required each night after finish of work.

Have a chat with the electricians and ask them to clear it up, I expect they will.

Ps.. That is extremely messy though!

To finish off (see the pun there) to the OP, dont feel so bad about this it can be decorated and made good again, and a chance for a good spring clean and fresh lick of paint !

I don't think most small one man bands have wall chasers and dust extraction, I don't. I would make a lot of mess when re-wiring a house but I would have a tidy up each night with regards all the plaster/brickwork on the floor. I would cover all carpets with a dust sheet, but there would still be some dust that penetrates. Even if the house was not lived in during the rewire I would still clear up (to a degree) all the mess so that the next day I don't return to a bomb site as this is horrible to work in. If it was lived during the rewire (nightmare) I would have had a chat with the homeowner before hand about the degree of cleanliness that is required each night after finish of work.

Have a chat with the electricians and ask them to clear it up, I expect they will.

Ps.. That is extremely messy though!
Really? I would expect most to have it, I know I certainly do and have had since I started up on my own many moons ago.

Really? I would expect most to have it, I know I certainly do and have had since I started up on my own many moons ago.
Depends if you’re doing lots of rewires. I did mainly refurbishments, like kitchens. Most of which were gutted, so I used angle grinder, vac and opened the windows, and kept the doors shut. Sometimes I had to take a break to let the dust settle.
Mind you, if I was a younger man, I would of bought one of those Metabo ones.

I just stitch drill carefully then use a 40-50mm SDS chisel when chasing, I think using any kind of disc cutter in an occupied home is just ridiculous, the dust is horrific.
We clean up after every chase by brushing up all the larger mess first then vacuuming and you can keep it well under control. It also helps to take as much as possible out of the room being worked in and cover everything else thoroughly. In some places it can end up cleaner than before you started. :grinning:

I just stitch drill carefully then use a 40-50mm SDS chisel when chasing, I think using any kind of disc cutter in an occupied home is just ridiculous, the dust is horrific.
We clean up after every chase by brushing up all the larger mess first then vacuuming and you can keep it well under control. It also helps to take as much as possible out of the room being worked in and cover everything else thoroughly. In some places it can end up cleaner than before you started. :grinning:

You stitch drill every chase ? Would this apply to a full rewire and how long would it take you ?

Using a twin disc grinder and a good dust extractor would create a lot less dust than stitch drilling.

Reply to Tools used when rewiring domestic property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net