Discuss Tools used when rewiring domestic property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You stitch drill every chase ? Would this apply to a full rewire and how long would it take you ?

I do Andy , but we don't do enough of it to justify the full on kit really. A long chase from the ceiling down to a socket for example would take no more than half an hour with the box sitting dead flush and even with the twin disc chasing tools you still have to chop out the bit in between.
[automerge]1582138445[/automerge]
Using a twin disc grinder and a good dust extractor would create a lot less dust than stitch drilling.

But you still have to chop out the bit in the middle.

I do Andy , but we don't do enough of it to justify the full on kit really. A long chase from the ceiling down to a socket for example would take no more than half an hour with the box sitting dead flush and even with the twin disc chasing tools you still have to chop out the bit in between.

Doesn't have to cost loads at all. My chaser was £99 from screwfix and works well enough with my Henry clone vacuum. Little bit of dust on the plunge and then almost dust free grinding. The middle flies out with a sds chisel after grinding. Probably 5 mins per chase.

Worth trying out for £99.

Really? I would expect most to have it, I know I certainly do and have had since I started up on my own many moons ago.
You may be right, I guess it depends on how many rewires you do per year. I do 1, sometimes 2.

I have a twin disk wall cutter that I bought from Aldi for £60 about 3 years ago, and a Henry. I do anywhere from 4-10 domestic rewire's a year and it's still going strong apart from New disks it owes me nothing and has saved me months of tedious work!

Depends if you’re doing lots of rewires. I did mainly refurbishments, like kitchens. Most of which were gutted, so I used angle grinder, vac and opened the windows, and kept the doors shut. Sometimes I had to take a break to let the dust settle.
Mind you, if I was a younger man, I would of bought one of those Metabo ones.
I don't do occupied rewires, do a lot of refurbs and kitchens. The kitchen jobs generally the house is either occupied or fully furnished. I couldn't work in the place if an angle grinder was used to cut the chases, the dust would be colossal. Don't think it would take long for a cheap twin blade grinder and dust extractor to pay for itself on those types of jobs.

[automerge]1582138445[/automerge]

But you still have to chop out the bit in the middle.
In this situation, using mechanical aids is a no no, hand chasing is less messy dust etc. Just MO.

That's way too much like hard work for the younger generation Dave. :grinning:

Don't get me wrong I have done my fair share of chases by hand over the years but given the option I would use the wall chaser every time! Mine was cheap as chips and with a good Hoover it hardly causes any dust at all, mainly just on the first plunge! I would rather spend my time doing the more enjoyable parts of the job than doing donkey work. Just my 2 penith worth!

I don't do occupied rewires, do a lot of refurbs and kitchens. The kitchen jobs generally the house is either occupied or fully furnished. I couldn't work in the place if an angle grinder was used to cut the chases, the dust would be colossal. Don't think it would take long for a cheap twin blade grinder and dust extractor to pay for itself on those types of jobs.

If I was still trading, I might consider getting a dedicated chaser and vac.

i hired a couple of chasers with vacuum attachments. They were quite frankly useless; too heavy and didn’t cut down on the dust. I did subby for someone who had a proper Metabo chaser & bespoke vacuum. It was absolutely brill, manageable and NO dust, but cost him about £800.

Thats what I’d buy, not a cheapo one.

I use a twin disc machine with extraction, can be done with minimal mess.....but there will always be some. I once went to a job where a number of additional flush sockets were to be installed only for the homeowner to say 'I've just glossed the skirtings, there wont be any dust will there?'
There's no hope for some.

Reply to Tools used when rewiring domestic property. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net