Discuss Training to become an electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You should sign up for a short course with any one of the many providers, they are very good value for money and in about 6 weeks or so you will be earning at least £50,000 a year, just like the rest of us. Welcome to the club.

Obviously this was a tongue in cheek response!

What is your current occupation? Why can it not carry you through till retirement? Are you looking for a new career or an interesting hobby? If the former, then unless you are very lucky, then sorry my friend, in the current climate, you are dreaming.

I started in the industry 7 years ago. I am fully qualified, night school trained and full time on the job and I (a) have a lot to learn, and (b) still struggle to find employment.

I have just got back onto site after a long slack period, and have pulled every string and used every contact to do so.

I have numerous verifiable testaments to my abilities in references. This helps, but not if no-one has any work to offer.

Why is your current occupation so unappetizing that it cannot see you through a few more years till retirement? Are you falling for the dream of millions of easy pounds in the trades?

It ain't gonna happen mate.

Look, what I'm basically saying that, if I, fully qualified, with loads of experience and great references, have struggled to eventually get onto an agency job, then you, Mr no skills, no quals, no experience, have got bob hope of doing it.

43 years old? Christ man, most people that age are thinking of getting OUT of it, not INTO it!

Get a grip on reality.

This is my honest opinion. You are free to disagree.

x

Obviously this was a tongue in cheek response!

What is your current occupation? Why can it not carry you through till retirement? Are you looking for a new career or an interesting hobby? If the former, then unless you are very lucky, then sorry my friend, in the current climate, you are dreaming.

I started in the industry 7 years ago. I am fully qualified, night school trained and full time on the job and I (a) have a lot to learn, and (b) still struggle to find employment.

I have just got back onto site after a long slack period, and have pulled every string and used every contact to do so.

I have numerous verifiable testaments to my abilities in references. This helps, but not if no-one has any work to offer.

Why is your current occupation so unappetizing that it cannot see you through a few more years till retirement? Are you falling for the dream of millions of easy pounds in the trades?

It ain't gonna happen mate.

Look, what I'm basically saying that, if I, fully qualified, with loads of experience and great references, have struggled to eventually get onto an agency job, then you, Mr no skills, no quals, no experience, have got bob hope of doing it.

43 years old? Christ man, most people that age are thinking of getting OUT of it, not INTO it!

Get a grip on reality.

This is my honest opinion. You are free to disagree.

x
Can't add any more to that.
Don't hold anything back will ya ;)

Got to say you have the right attitude. Go along to your local "Tec" they will be able to advise you better as things are changing all the time as regards courses. Best of luck.

good attitude..you kidding me,a paper boy is more flexible than saturdays only...

good attitude..you kidding me,a paper boy is more flexible than saturdays only...

Na meant his attitude to be prepared to do anything, as I said earlier he has no chance with his current plan.
He needs to get a lot more info before he does anything else.

I know that is true, and in light of the post's on here he will know that now .

but someone somewhere will still take his money for chasing a dream,if anyone does premier league footballer courses for fat 40 somethings and promises 200k a week,i'll pay what ever it takes..

Thats it, the grass is always greener though till you get there. These training schemes that use sensationalism to sell their wares are just as bad as - have you been injured..............

hopefully the op will not take everybody's points of view personally!, the sparks on this thread have painted the reality truth about our trade to hopefully let the op and others reading this thread realise being a spark is not how it seems on the adverts. there is many sparks on here from all walks of life the majority with many years experience who will beg to differ on many threads but with this one all of us sparks are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Sadly the industry is so much different now to when most of us started out. I did my apprenticeship in the late 90s and was lucky enough to get a steady job from it for a while. But now, I'm struggling and sparking has become very much my secondary occupation. I have been doing an unrelated job for several years now, and that was a necessity at the time to feed my family. Sparking is still my passion, but passion alone doesn't put bread on the table. Over the last year especially, I would have lost my house if I was relying on electrical work as my sole source of income.

Sadly the industry is so much different now to when most of us started out. I did my apprenticeship in the late 90s and was lucky enough to get a steady job from it for a while. But now, I'm struggling and sparking has become very much my secondary occupation. I have been doing an unrelated job for several years now, and that was a necessity at the time to feed my family. Sparking is still my passion, but passion alone doesn't put bread on the table. Over the last year especially, I would have lost my house if I was relying on electrical work as my sole source of income.

my passion too but like yourself i am now in a unrelated job working in a diy store part time wondering were did i go wrong in life!!!. i maybe working for minimum wages but its bringing steady money into the house to pay the mortgage and put food on the table.

Around this time last year I had to take a driving job to make ends meet. Sometimes you have no choice.
Keep plugging away Kenny things will change for you just like they did for me

Heello peeps, was just reading through this thread. Im currently in the same situation. I ve done my 2392, i ve got 17th and PAT, and im a bit confussed as to where to go now. With my quals can i offer work as an electricans mate or is it best to go and find a company to work for !

Definitely better to go and find a position within a company, preferably a good sized one to get regular pay increases and job security, sort of anyway, you will start as a mate/apprentice/bod but as you already have some quallies it should help you get in the door for interviews as you have shown dedication to your chosen career to start with by going and getting them.

I was earning big money as an electrical engineer for many years, but the shifts were literally killing me.
I admit that I can't make a living just from electrical work at the moment as there are too many big players in my area, but by teaching classical guitar every evening, I just about get by...
I may be much poorer than I used to be, but I will never work nights again, and that's something you can take to the bank.

Reply to Training to become an electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock