Currently reading:
TT System High Ze leading to possible Zs fails

Discuss TT System High Ze leading to possible Zs fails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing a lot of EICRs at the moment and have came across what I'm sure is a common enough problem. In an off grid rural cottage I have a TT system, Diesel Generator that runs and charges batteries when they are below 10 percent or so.

Ra is about 150 Ohms... was about 3 ohms for Ze before main earth was disconnected from electrode.

Now table 53.1 tells me that a 500mA RCD would be acceptable in this instance, not that that would ever be the case as everything is protected by 30mA RCD albeit one main one for everything. ( An exception to this is the circuit from generator to Invertor IN circuit and Invertor OUT i don't believe is on an RCD. Invertor out is a 25A MCB which limits the entire supply which is a second 2 way DB in the shed that house the generator doing 2 sockets and then onto an 8 way main RCD board in the house.

My question is basically most mcbs 20 amp and above are failing max Zs readings ( In most instances not by much ).

Because it is a remote holiday let it has a very small amount of sockets and no kettle or any other appliances supplied and all heating cooking is gas/oil. I maybe have the luxury of sticking a couple of rings onto 10A mcbs in which case they pass but not sure if table 53.1 negates the need for this?

SO long as the RCD trips within 200ms can this be passed so long as deviations from BS7671 are noted?

Example readings are 16A MCB 2.5 Ohms which is 2.2 max and 32A MCB 3.5 Ohms which is 1.1 max. all other 6A circuits pass.

Appreciate advice as its not something i have dealt with too much over the years.

( Sorry for waffling on also cheers! )

Could you elaborate a little Dave?

It is a TNS system, the earth rod is providing an earth reference to make on epile of the supply neutral and is not part of the earth fault loop.
The earth fault loop is from the source of supply out via the live conductor and returns via the earth conductor back to the neutral point via the N-E link. Standard TNS arrangement except the source of supply is within the installation instead of being external.

The issue you have with ADS is that the source of supply cannot provide enough fault current to operate protective devices in the required time (if at all)

What is your advice in this situation?

Engage the services of someone who understands the type of installation.

Reply to TT System High Ze leading to possible Zs fails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back