Discuss Two single outdoor sockets into a double rcd socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Waspur

DIY
Reaction score
I have two outdoor sockets(in poor condition) wired to two ground bedded armoured cables.The sockets are linked to one another via three wires(coloured live,neutral and earth).The sockets therefore have two wires in each terminal.I want to replace with double rcd socket.Can I join the bedded cables ie live to live,n to n and e to e and connect to rcd socket ?

are these existing sockets adjacent or a bit apart? and do both of them have 2 cables?

I have two outdoor sockets(in poor condition) wired to two ground bedded armoured cables.The sockets are linked to one another via three wires(coloured live,neutral and earth).The sockets therefore have two wires in each terminal.I want to replace with double rcd socket.Can I join the bedded cables ie live to live,n to n and e to e and connect to rcd socket ?

Welcome to the forum mate.
So just to confirm, you want to replace the last socket with a new one and remove the first socket. Then link the SWA cables?
In principle this can be done.
You would need to connect the armours as well.
Also make sure the cable is still fit for use.
What does the SWA cable connect to back at the house?

What does the SWA cable connect to back at the house?

the electrics hopefully. ??

unless you can ascertain that the cables are on the same circuit, do not join them. and even then there could be complications.it needs checking out before doing anything, my advice is to consult an electrician.

what kind of a plug? and i'd suspect the armour integrity, looking at those corroded glands.

Are you sure those sockets are fed from separate cables? Seems odd to do that. Maybe the other cable feeds another socket somewhere,

Also looks like the armour isn't even connected at the sockets..

EDIT: I tell a lie. They are connected outside the socket box.

Don't like the look of that bleedin' great wood screw?....and is that swa plugged in to one socket?

Reply to Two single outdoor sockets into a double rcd socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net